Fuzzy dwarf Lionfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Erikmichael23

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so Im planning a 29 gal with atleast 25lbs of rock is that enough rock? and if so is there room for a fdl?...and can I use my 100w freshwater heater in a saltwater tank?

Yes yes and yes. The fdl don't need a lot of room because they stay small and dont swim a lot. You usually want a pound to two pounds of live rock but 25 would be ok

Yeah, youll be ok with therock for a bit, but you can buy some base rock and add that as you get more money.

You're ok on rock, may wanna consider another 15 lbs, and no to the lionfish, the fdl can reach 10" and minimum recommended is 75 I believe, sure he could fit, but it wouldn't be at all healthy.

*****edit***** I'm sorry, those numbers are for the radiata, got them backwards, the dfl can reach 7" and minimum is 50.....still wouldn't do it, just too small

I think I may just set up my tank with 30lb and see what I think bk I dont want it to stress in a small place...so I can use only 1 heater? (100w)...and I was also wondering if I have to move and clean under all my rocks or do I just leave it if the cycle is fine? I'm a bit new to this havnt started yet just want as much info as possible from people not just a book so thanks so much..

No I know the dwarf lions don't get any more than 4-5 inch. That's what it's a dwarf lion. The vilotian lions are the ones that get the size of a basketball. The dwarf lion would be fine

For the record, the smallest and most difficult dwarf to care for is the Dendrochirus biocellatus (Fu manchu) at around 5". At this diminutive size and their reclusive nature you could house a pair if you are knowlegable of their husbandry (experienced aquarist). Dendrochirus brachypterus (Fuzzy dwarf lionfish) get about 7" and swim much more than the other dwarf lionfish species so you'd be pushing it if wanting more than one in a 30g. Dendrochirus zebra (Dwarf zebra lionfish) is about the same size as the Fuzzy, but with a larger girth. Choose wisely, but you may be pushing limits in a 30g if you aren't experienced with lionfish.

Well I'm sorry that we disagree and maybe I am confused I'm sorry I'm not trying to kill any fish or anything like that I know all about fish and their needs and their swimming needs. IME I have never seen a fuzzy dwarf lion that swims much at all or get over 5 inches. But right I completely agree no need to put a fish at it's limit of tank always give it more than what is reccomended

So one should b fine?.....how would u approach it? Bk there aren't many tankmates I could put in there...and how much rock would u put in?

I would put at least 25 to 30 pounds of Rock. Also I say yes to the fdl others will say no. And by approach it. I would first put 2 or 3 damsels or chromis for a month and let the tank completely cycle. Then once it's stable you could get him

You should fishless cycle, saves any fish from un-needed stress, and honestly if you're gonna put a fish in an undersized tank, its best not to stock with other fish, just gonna cramp even more. You're 4g over half the minimum size for a fdl....I understand you want one and I am a pro-lionfish supporter, but I truly feel you should reconsider and maybe try to get a slightly bigger tank for the fdl. Putting him in a 29g is comparative to puttina a radiata in a 50g tank....

Back
Top Bottom