Galaxea coral placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ingy

Aquarium Advice Addict
As I am slowly getting into corals, I am looking for placement advice. I bought a green galaxea coral which I placed about 10" below the surface under my 4 bulb T5HO lights. The coral has slowly started to turn brown, which I'm assuming is an indication of too much light. It had a nice mod waterflow. To reduce the lights , I have 2 options I'm looking at. The first is to lower it slightly but move it to the side of the tank where it should get less light. It is about 12" deep now.
Option 2 is to lower it to about 20" deep but keep it in the middle of the tank.
The coral is still new and has not yet formed that dome shape mature ones seem to get. Both my placement options will leave plenty of space from current and future neighbor corals.
First pic is my first side option and second pic is the flat spot of my second option.

Thoughts

Attachments

• image-2177268750.jpg
    image-2177268750.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 162
  • image-2391250918.jpg
    image-2391250918.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 177
Well nobody responded and I moved the coral to the lower position. It's been about 2 more weeks and the coral continues to turn brown. There are still white tips on the ends, but there is very little green left.
My research online indicates that LPS corals turning brown means too much light. I have a 4xT5HO light and the coral is now about 20" under water.
Does anybody else have a galaxea coral and if so, how deep do you have them and under what kind of lights.

I dont have one but I have heard that they are a finnicky coral in the home aquarium. I`ve always heard that brown means not enough light. I only have VHO lighting wich is moderate lighting and my torch and a few other lps corals are brown. You also have the brown jelly disease.

Back
Top Bottom