Garden eels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swimzebras

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a newish 45 gallon tank. If I were to put in around 5 inches of sand, could I keep these guys? Also what else would I have to do for them? And how many could I keep? I know they're tough, but for the future!

But it seemed to me that (a they aren't usually that big and (b it's mostly the depth of the sand and tankmates that matter. And feeding. Plus, there are bigger eels than that that can live in smaller tanks. I really really want one, but the only thing I can't change is the tank size. 

Does anyone have any experience with garden eels, and who can provide some more detailed info?

I have not had one but I have had an eel before. Two things, 1) You`ve already been told that they need a bigger tank. At least a 100 gallon tank. Just because someone else had one does not make it OK. Someone could have one in a ten gallon tank but then a month later it`s dead and would be in a smaller tank. Find someone who has had one for years in a small tank. You wont find one. 2) This eel is rated for expert only. There are not too many experts on this site including myself. It needs to have an owner that is very familiar with that type eel. No disrespect but if you are asking questions about it then that rules you out of the expert classification. Most sites if it`s expert only will not refund your purchase if it dies even in the Guarantee period.

Oh ok, it just seemed to me that all of the information was based upon a single site, so it might not be entirely accurate.

For instance, bluezooaquatics says 50 gallons, 16 inches, and intermediate

All my stock is in LA and experience I`ve had with other`s tanks. To be honest I`ve never known one to live more than 3 months. Maybe someone else has a favorable experience. IME thay dont have a great track record.

I don't mean to be rude at all, I just want to be accurate, because fishbase.com says 15.7 inches, smaller than dreamaquatics and liveaquaria, which both say 100 gal

No problem. I`m just stating my experience and opinion. I`m sure there are many others out there with eel experience and I hope they respond. Have a great day.

Thank you so much for the kind and helpful words of advice. The same to you.

Any eel experts out there who can point me in the right direction on this?

Hass's Garden Eel (Taenioconger hassi)

I was reading this, and saw something that would make me think twice about getting one. It seems to like to hide in the sand. Is there a reason you like this eel more than others? I would hate for you to get one and never see much of it. I wouldn't mind having an eel someday myself :) Probably not a garden eel though.

Seemed like they were most likely to fit in my tank, plus I like their behavior, and I could still do a reef, the strange burrowing is (to me) one of their funniest traits

The burrowing is neat, but would make keeping coral or the rocks that support them a pain. Not to mention if you ever have to move rocks, always knowing where it is. If you have a tank that is protected from escape, why not a Snowflake? Care level is easy, doesn't need as big of a tank...
Probably more available to get. Just a thought. I know how it is when you want what you want, but I just worry about that garden eel....

Snowflakes might eat my fish and inverts though, and I was told they got too big for me, bigger than garden eels too

Any people with garden eel experience or extensiveish knowledge of them please help me figure out how best to care for one in my situation! Thank you

Did you try talking to the place you plan on purchasing the garden eel from? Hopefully they might have some experience or at least point you toward someone who has kept them.

Back
Top Bottom