Gargonian and copperband

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tlro

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all, this is my first post!

I have had my tank going for about 8 months now. So far it's just a FOWLR but I'm looking to add some color. I have a copperband butterfly and an allardi clown as well as a spotted seahorse that get along wonderfully. I was looking into getting some gargonians and was wondering of the copperband would decimate it like he does my aptasia or if they would get along. I feed them frozen mysis twice a day and they all have really crazy appetites. Thanks!

Tlro said:
Hey all, this is my first post!

I have had my tank going for about 8 months now. So far it's just a FOWLR but I'm looking to add some color. I have a copperband butterfly and an allardi clown as well as a spotted seahorse that get along wonderfully. I was looking into getting some gargonians and was wondering of the copperband would decimate it like he does my aptasia or if they would get along. I feed them frozen mysis twice a day and they all have really crazy appetites. Thanks!

Copperbands have been known to eat them but many also report they dont bother theirs, so id say you have a 50/50 chance it wont bother them. Perhaps try something else?

Congrats with keeping the seahorses with them! I thought they wouldn't work together. All I have heard is they can go with the mandarin goby and pipefish. On a side note...can you post a picture of your seahorses?

I find it depends a lot on the seahorse's personality. I originally just had the clown but my wife saw the seahorse at the and HAD to have her. I bought her having no idea why I was getting into (my first tank). She's been great though. She plays in the power head streams and LOVES eating. Thing is a machine. I got the copperband just recently to help control an aptasia outbreak at the recommendation of my lfs. I won't be able to keep it long as my tank is too small but right now it's just a juvenile and picks away at the aptasia all day. My lfs said once it out grows my reef I can trade it in and they'll put it in they're big display tank. I tried peppermint shrimp but my big *** emerald crab seems to like how they taste a little too much haha :( anyways I will definitely post some pics once I get home from work :) (don't have any good current ones on my phone)

That's awesome! I love seahorses! They are my favorite. I can't wait to get a few!

Here are some pics as promised :)

Attachments

• image-1687365967.jpg
    image-1687365967.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 86
  • image-1789501908.jpg
    image-1789501908.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 80
  • image-1814520878.jpg
    image-1814520878.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 77
No thank you. The seahorse is definitely my favorite. If you get some and need some advice I'll help out as much as I can :)

I wanted to get two but I read a lot of info that said they are primarily solitary unless to mate, and I'm not equipped to deal with a bunch of frys haha.

As long as they understand the concessions they have to make. They are very delicate. Even an aptasia sting can cause an infection, which I learned the hard way. No stinging invertebrates, no aggressive fish, and a really nice skimmer because they eat a lot and poop a lot and you're
in smooth sailin. I highly recommend it of you can supply those requirements. They are truly beautiful.

It was just a general question, in case I am ever asked. Both of my reef tanks arent suitable.

Sniperhank said:
What do you feed your seahorses? Do they eat frozen or just pods?

Frozen mysis, it does eat the occasional pod it finds in my tank. I don't stock them though.

Great thanks! We have a 35 hex we are going to use when we get seahorses. The thing holding us back now is we have no way to fit a sump in the stand. When we had fish in it before we were using a bak pak with skimmer. But it doesn't work the greatest and not sure what else to use. :)

Back
Top Bottom