Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #91
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Bad news..our fixture is about 7" in width.

So my question is, should we either

A. invest in the new fixture because it is much better than our current

B. Invest in replacing the current fixtures bulbs and not get the new one.

OR
C. find some way to use both. The PC would still have the older bulbs though. How would we do this?

Old 02-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #92
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just get the new fixture. I ran a smaller 20 gallon tank with the lighting you have now and I considered it kind of a minimum. If you are going to run the old one with ancient bulbs (the pics I remember showed brown marks on the plastic- they're OLD), it's likely that it will do more harm than good. Remember that post upthread where I told you that old bulbs can contribute to algae?

Old 02-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #93
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by severum mama
Just get the new fixture. I ran a smaller 20 gallon tank with the lighting you have now and I considered it kind of a minimum. If you are going to run the old one with ancient bulbs (the pics I remember showed brown marks on the plastic- they're OLD), it's likely that it will do more harm than good. Remember that post upthread where I told you that old bulbs can contribute to algae?
K we will get the new ones oh yea, i havent forgotten about those bulbs
Old 02-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #94
Aquarium Advice Addict

You will be better off with a nice new fixture.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #95
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EriksFish315
You will be better off with a nice new fixture.
Yup, in the long run we will. I just wantto maje sure we can support most sps..but i guess not.

Could someone tell me what we can/cant support with a 4 buld T5HO?
Old 02-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #96
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66 View Post
Yup, in the long run we will. I just wantto maje sure we can support most sps..but i guess not.

Could someone tell me what we can/cant support with a 4 buld T5HO?
Why? Are you particularly interested in SPS? Have you researched their needs? IMO a 4 bulb fixture is not sufficient for "most" SPS corals (yes, you can keep some of the easier ones), and to be honest, for a reef tank on a tight budget, many of them are not the most realistic options... not only are the corals themselves expensive, but they are also sensitive (much more so than what you're starting out with) and will pretty much REQUIRE a skimmer. And when I say skimmer, I don't mean a Bak Pak, Coralife, or Seaclone. I mean a good skimmer, and a good skimmer is going to run you a lot more than that T5 fixture.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #97
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by severum mama

Why? Are you particularly interested in SPS? Have you researched their needs? IMO a 4 bulb fixture is not sufficient for "most" SPS corals (yes, you can keep some of the easier ones), and to be honest, for a reef tank on a tight budget, many of them are not the most realistic options... not only are the corals themselves expensive, but they are also sensitive (much more so than what you're starting out with) and will pretty much REQUIRE a skimmer. And when I say skimmer, I don't mean a Bak Pak, Coralife, or Seaclone. I mean a good skimmer, and a good skimmer is going to run you a lot more than that T5 fixture.
Wow i screwed up. Sps as in hard coral? No, i dont want any of that.

I mean SOFT coral. So torch, frogspawn, bubble..that kind if stuff.

Excuse my stupidity lol
Old 02-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #98
Aquarium Advice Addict

SPS= small polyp stony coral

LPS= long polyp stony coral

Then there are soft corals.

There's no stupidity about it, the abbreviations can be confusing. I guarantee you are not the only person that has ever mixed up LPS and SPS. LOL.

Torch, frogspawn, hammer are all LPS corals, euphyllia spp. Bubble is also LPS. Other examples would be acanthastrea (Google that one, I'm pretty sure you'll love it), caulastrea (your candy cane), blastomussa. Brain corals are also LPS- some off the top of my head for your Googling pleasure are trachyphyllia, wellsophyllia, lobophyllia. There are plenty of other LPS too, these are just some examples.

SPS also have a hard skeleton, but unlike the LPS corals, they do not have the big fleshy polyps. Some examples off the top of my head here are acropora, montipora, seriatopora, pocillopora. There are tons of others, of course.

Seriatopora (birdsnest) might actually be a possibility for you once you get that upgrade. I had an ORA green birdsnest that did quite well under PCs in one of my nanos. I've also kept psammocora and acropora millipora under T5 HOs. Just set them high in the tank.

The softies don't have a hard skeleton at all. Think xenia, zoanthids/palythoas/protopalythoas, mushrooms, kenya tree, etc.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #99
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thank you so much!! You got it right on, those are all corals that i love. And with a 4 bulb t5 i could support these? That would be sweet!

Yeah, i dont like the sps much..i like the flowing look of the lps..like alot of people.

Okay, that birdsnest is awesome, thats my goal eventually!

Thanks for all of the googling material! lol
Old 02-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #100
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's a fascinating read for you- keep in mind when you're placing your new corals!
Corals gone Wild! Jin's guide to coral on coral interaction. - Atlanta Reef Club Forums

Closed Thread

Tags
build, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com