Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd spend the money on replacement bulbs, if you haven't already. I saw some pics a while back where they were looking really old. Spectrum and intensity shift over time, and this can contribute to algae problems. This is why folks replace their bulbs long before they actually burn out. With power compacts, I believe the rule of thumb is every 6-8 months.

Believe me, I understand the allure of adding, adding, adding to the tank... but slow down! Get your equipment situation under control before you add more corals. If you're wanting to replace your bulbs or your light fixture, put the money toward that. It's going to be pretty tough to upgrade your lighting if you never start saving money for it.

4 bulb T5 HO that Erik mentioned would be a nice choice for your tank. You won't be keeping most of the sps, but it's budget friendly... plus, down the road, you could probably keep a couple easy sps like green birdsnest.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by severum mama
I'd spend the money on replacement bulbs, if you haven't already. I saw some pics a while back where they were looking really old. Spectrum and intensity shift over time, and this can contribute to algae problems. This is why folks replace their bulbs long before they actually burn out. With power compacts, I believe the rule of thumb is every 6-8 months.

Believe me, I understand the allure of adding, adding, adding to the tank... but slow down! Get your equipment situation under control before you add more corals. If you're wanting to replace your bulbs or your light fixture, put the money toward that.

4 bulb T5 HO that Erik mentioned would be a nice choice for your tank. You won't be keeping most of the sps, but it's budget friendly... plus, down the road, you could probably keep a couple easy sps like green birdsnest.
Oh yes, i looked into replacing the bulbs, but the cost would be pretty close to the cost of a new, better fixture. Ibrhaim sugested a 4 bulb t5ho on aquatraders for 64$ that we could keep most sps with.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

I disagree that it would be sufficient for "most" sps. That is JMHO.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Either way, its better than my current lighting. And you know, im a beginner so im only looking at the easy stuff anyways
Old 02-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I said it'd be efficient for most SPS along with the PCs. Tim currently has a 4 bulb t5ho that's 24" over his 54g and he's growing SPS just fine
Old 02-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

My mushrooms and zoas are doing good under a 4 bulb t5 unit.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim

I said it'd be efficient for most SPS along with the PCs. Tim currently has a 4 bulb t5ho that's 24" over his 54g and he's growing SPS just fine
Okay cool. Sounds like a good fixture for only 64.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim

I am still wondering, how could we get bith fixtures on?
Old 02-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
I don't know who Tim is, but sorry, a 4 bulb T5 HO is not enough light for "most" sps. Yes, it is enough light for some of them, and I never disagreed with that statement. There is a big distinction between "grows some easy sps corals" and "grows MOST sps corals". Just sayin'. Gboy and Nu Nu will be restricted to easy sps corals for the time being, as it simply won't be possible to keep the water clean enough for the more challenging sps corals without a skimmer, regardless of lighting.

Adding a 4 bulb T5 HO to the existing fixture is a good idea. In fact, I recommended this a long time ago when the Gboy and Nu Nu first posted photos of the tank and setup. The PC bulbs should still be replaced; as I mentioned, old bulbs can contribute to nuisance algae.

@ Gboy- depending on the width of the fixtures, it may or may not be possible to use both at the same time.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

I don't know who Tim is, but sorry, a 4 bulb T5 HO is not enough light for "most" sps. Yes, it is enough light for some of them, and I never disagreed with that statement. There is a big distinction between "grows some easy sps corals" and "grows MOST sps corals". Just sayin'. Gboy and Nu Nu will be restricted to easy sps corals for the time being, as it simply won't be possible to keep the water clean enough for the more challenging sps corals without a skimmer, regardless of lighting.
The user TLTGF is who I was referring to. He's got a build on the site. Again I did not say that a 4 bulb t5 alone is enough for most SPS. All I said was that he was growing SPS under it. So I'm sorry if the way I stated it was misleading.

Tags
build, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com