Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-08-2012, 01:17 AM   #71
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTGF
You are correct. I am growing various SPS in the top 1/3 of my tank. I have:
Montipora Capricornis, Red/Orange - Aquacultured, ORA

Humilis Acropora Coral

Drs. Foster and Smith Diver's DenŽ - Acropora clathrata

A "Sour-Apple" birdsnest (the easier type) and one other acro, that I can't seem to find a close picture of on LA.

Most of my SPS are the "easier" SPS corals except the Acro's - honestly the one I can't find a pic of is doing well, and the other one pictured I just got this past weekend.
Cool!! Thats good news!

We set up our timers, with..
Antics: 8am-8 pm
Whites: 9am-7pm

Old 02-08-2012, 01:17 AM   #72
Aquarium Advice Addict

Man thats great! Having a better light really opens up the amout of corals available! Haha

Anyways, my peppermint and cleaner shrimp hate eachother.... Is this normal?!

Old 02-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #73
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmmmm, I have seen my Fire Shrimp chase my Cleaners out of the way, but not attacking them. My Peppermiint always hides so he is always out of the picture, LOL.

Just a guess.....Maybe if you added more rock they wouldn't fight (maybe they are fighting over territory?)

Good luck!!
Old 02-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #74
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsea
Hmmmm, I have seen my Fire Shrimp chase my Cleaners out of the way, but not attacking them. My Peppermiint always hides so he is always out of the picture, LOL.

Just a guess.....Maybe if you added more rock they wouldn't fight (maybe they are fighting over territory?)

Good luck!!
Ohh okay thanks. They will both go for some food and the cleaner will just towards the peppermint really fast and he gets scared and goes to hide...maybe i will get a fire shrimp to scare my cleaner! Haha thanks
Old 02-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #75
AA Team Emeritus

If you plan on keeping the corals that you currently have long term, you need to be replacing bulbs and upgrading that light first thing. IME PC lighting is insufficient to support even the simple SPS you have long term - especially with old bulbs. As severum stated, continuing to use the fixture with old bulbs after you add the other light is also not good, as it will promote algae issues.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Old 02-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy Renegade
If you plan on keeping the corals that you currently have long term, you need to be replacing bulbs and upgrading that light first thing. IME PC lighting is insufficient to support even the simple SPS you have long term - especially with old bulbs. As severum stated, continuing to use the fixture with old bulbs after you add the other light is also not good, as it will promote algae issues.
Yea, thats why we were looking at getting the new fixture. I WOULD have both ontop of tge tank an replace the bulbs, but j am not sure how i would have both fixtures on top
Old 02-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #77
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

Yea, thats why we were looking at getting the new fixture. I WOULD have both ontop of tge tank an replace the bulbs, but j am not sure how i would have both fixtures on top
Measure the PCs and if it's 5" wide or less it'll fit.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #78
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think the pc is 5 inches or less.... I cant measure it because i am at school, but when i get home i will. Problem is, that would be very hard to take off the glass hood because there will be 2 lights on top.
If we did fit both lights on top, would that mean our lighting is significantly better?
Old 02-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel
I think the pc is 5 inches or less.... I cant measure it because i am at school, but when i get home i will. Problem is, that would be very hard to take off the glass hood because there will be 2 lights on top.
If we did fit both lights on top, would that mean our lighting is significantly better?
Yep it will be much better. I don't have a glass hood on mine since my lights have splash protectors.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim

Yep it will be much better. I don't have a glass hood on mine since my lights have splash protectors.
Ooohh okay thanks. So i guess we will try and buy it tonight if they would both fit on the hood. Corals seem to be doing well even with our low lighting. The frogspawn is definitly growing, but idk about the candycane

Tags
build, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com