Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

I ran a 3 stage canister filter on my 20gal for 2 years and never really had a nitrate problem, I did have a good amount of live rock though. Every month I changed the filter media and rinsed the bio ball with old saltwater taken from the tank for water changes.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:48 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Will take I go on board and see what works best for me. Thanks

Old 09-17-2013, 10:50 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Don't use any bubblers in salt water. It will splash the salt all over everything and cause salt damage to everything including the tank, wall, and lights.

For a reef tank you are going to want 10x - 40x the tank volume per hour in flow. I would shoot at minimum for 20x myself. If your canister doesn't put out that much I would look at adding a powerhead or two.

What lights do you currently have?
Old 09-18-2013, 06:21 AM   #14

Currently standard fluorescent but am slowly converting everything. I'm in no rush to do this as I'm aware that the longer you take to set up te better the out come. Have been recommended daylight tube and a blue light so will need to adapt lid for second tube. Will remove bubblers. Filter is circulating at about 20 so that's good and am getting power head on Saturday. If its exactly what I want I'm not afraid to ask for guidance or take my time to do it.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If they are the t8 fluorescent bulbs you will need to upgrade them if you want to keep corals. A dual t5ho will work well for softies but I use one of the chinese 120w LED lights over my 20 reef an it is working exceptionally well. imho it's better to upgrade the lighting now rather than waste money on adding more light that wont be sufficient when / if you decide that you want corals.

As for bulb selection on fluorescent lights I would go with a 10000k and an actinic for my color selections.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #16

How easy is it to add a second housing as my lid only has one fitting fortune. Am more than happy to do as am wanting corals and want best for them when I put them I
Old 09-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsue View Post
How easy is it to add a second housing as my lid only has one fitting fortune. Am more than happy to do as am wanting corals and want best for them when I put them I
Most lights that will support corals are made to either hang above the tank or rest on legs that sit on the edges. It's pretty standard to get a glass lid to accommodate them.

As for modifying, Im not sure about the best way to do that.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:44 PM   #18

So maybe if I construct a glass lid it would be easier?
Old 09-18-2013, 11:46 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah, most likely.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com