Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

General advice please.

In my 20 gal tank I was going to set up a brackish. However I made a start on it and was gently raing levels of salt etc and decided just to go whole hog and go to SW. I'm still unsure as to go for coral and some smaller fish or the Valentini puffer that we both liked. We originally wanted a dwarf lion and a dogface but tank not large enough. Any suggestions please?

Old 09-17-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

How did you set up the tank? Filtration etc? A valentini needs a bigger tank and if you go corals you will probably need a better light. Is this your first salt water? If so, there is a lot you will need to know before purchasing livestock. Tell us where you are at and hopefully we can help you go forward...

Old 09-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #3

Been slowly increasing salt levels over last 2 weeks, external filter, fluorescent lighting, slowly adding live rock. Filter running great. Temp is at approx 81 as unsure of US to uk conversion. Still in early stages as taking time for first SW
Old 09-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you have a power head for flow? What kind of substrate did you use? Just a heads up, if you used tap water you will run into algae problems down the road. With no livestock in the tank you can mix saltwater in tank to bring it up to the right levels. Do you have a test kit for saltwater? I recommend picking one up too as for livestock you could do a couple of clowns and maybe one other small fish to go with them. Definitely will need a lighting upgrade if you wish to add corals in the future.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh is it a canister filter? They are not commonly used in saltwater (some people do use them and have success with regular maintenance) but they are known for being referred to as nitrate factories I not cleaned out a couple of times a week...
Old 09-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #6

No power head yet as wasn't sure if required, using filter inlet for flow. Used tap water. But as doing changes going to use RO. Have bubble curtain as well. Sitting looking at empty at present. Unsure which way to go still.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #7

Picking up test kit tomorrow as wanted to give a couple of weeks running in first
Old 09-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #8

External canister (looks like a bucket with a lid) has ceramics and bio balls inside
Old 09-17-2013, 09:03 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

A bubble curtain I also not generally used in saltwater, use a powerhead for water movement for sure. I believe you can fill canisters with live rock rubble and they work ok, but perhaps someone else has had experience with them can chime in. Try as get all your live rock (or dry rock if that's what your starting with) in there ASAP so you can start your cycle
Old 09-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #10

Thanks Bectan will sort out things to what you suggested, will see how canister goes as is at moment though and will look at getting power head this weekend, am getting little rock as at £10 a kilo it ain't cheap or easy to manoeuvre. Lol

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com