Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-02-2006, 02:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

General Hardness Test

I was wondering how to lower GH. My tank has been running for about 2 months now. My water parameters are good. I tested KH and that was normal(9 dkh). When I test for GH, my test is off the charts(60). I filled the tank with RO/DI and I do all water changes with the same. I was wondering if I should change the resin in the DI. I have a 150 gallon, so the RO/DI has worked alot lately.

Can someone let me know if this is a real problem? I have a clown and a blue hippo tang, which are doing fine. Should I change my DI and do some water changes or is there something on the market I could use?

Thanks

Old 05-02-2006, 02:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Correct me if I'm wrong, but i was under the impression you don't have to worry about general hardness for saltwater. I test for KH regularly, but read in my handy-dandy saltwater aquarium book that GH isn't something to worry about. I checked that with the lfs when I first got started.

Old 05-02-2006, 11:39 AM   #3
steve-s

Correct, GH is the measure of Ca and Mg combined. Together the information is useless to us. These components must be measured seperately.

9 DKH is also just fine, as long as pH is steady and healthy don't adjust that.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-02-2006, 12:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

My PH is steady at 8.2 and Calcium is 400. So I will just leave it alone.

Thanks, guys.

Tags
hardness, test

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com