Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-11-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

General Stocking Question

I have noticed that there tends to be a rule of thumb when it comes to the amount of fish recommended for different tank sizes. I am curious what determines that.

Other than the fact that some fish require more room to swim, or that they get a bit large, isn't it mostly how much bio-load your tank can withstand? It seems to me that if the increase is done slow enough, the BB will continue to rise until it reaches a level where there just isn't enough room in the LR and LS to sustain it any longer. Is that pretty much it in a nut shell?

I am just beginning to stock my 45 Gal tank. In trying to pick what I want, I am finding that I am very limited (thought it was a big tank until now). Now I understand why everyone wants to up size. LOL Understanding that if my tank is heavily stocked I would, at the very least, have to increase the frequency of PWC to reduce the rapid increase in Nitrate, I don't really see a big problem. Or, is it that fish just get to feeling crowded and don't do well.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The fish can become crowded and become stressed, thats why tangs dont do well in smaller tanks

You can fit a few fish in that tank, just not a boatload.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
The fish can become crowded and become stressed, thats why tangs dont do well in smaller tanks

You can fit a few fish in that tank, just not a boatload.
Hard decisions. LOL Sure makes me want a 125 or bigger. LOL Now I know why you have so many tanks.

On another note, is there much bio-load put on the system by the CUC? Because I have a bit of bubble algae I am thinking of adding an emerald crab. I can get at one of the LR easily but there is a bit on one of the bottom rocks that would be hard to get out and scrub.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Yeah, Some use a sump and more rocks for increased bio-filtration. That can easily keep the nitrates down, but you're right in that a crowded tank can cause agression and stress that can torpedo a tank's health quickly. I tried to ensure I gave the swimmers room to swim. In other words, I had swimmers with rock perchers. Then there were those that hovered and those that hung out at the base of the rockwork. Succesfully considering those varied territories and ensuring there weren't too many in either helped me plan and execute a good stocking plan.

And of course, keeping an eye on the nitrate levels is important. I'd prefer to have a tank stocked such that It wasn't critical if I missed a water change for a couple of weeks.

CUC doesn't add much if anything to the load.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad View Post
Yeah, Some use a sump and more rocks for increased bio-filtration. That can easily keep the nitrates down, but you're right in that a crowded tank can cause agression and stress that can torpedo a tank's health quickly. I tried to ensure I gave the swimmers room to swim. In other words, I had swimmers with rock perchers. Then there were those that hovered and those that hung out at the base of the rockwork. Succesfully considering those varied territories and ensuring there weren't too many in either helped me plan and execute a good stocking plan.

And of course, keeping an eyes on the nitrate levels is important. I'd prefer to have a tank stocked such that It wasn't critical if I missed a water change for a couple of weeks.

CUC doesn't add much if anything to the load.
Thanks. I knew there had a to be a good reason but it is just hard to accept without a good explanation. I guess that is my analytical side showing through huh? LOL
Old 08-12-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tell me a little about Dwarf Angles. I think they are called Kole Angles. The only LFS I have come to trust said that although my tank is a bit small (45 gal) he felt it would do fine until it is close to full grown as long as I reduce total quantity. What do you guys think?

Tags
stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com