Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-25-2015, 09:12 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Regular

My daughter gets a kick out of seeing the tiny Astraea at one of the LFSs - do I want to avoid having them in my tank, or would it be OK to see if I could acquire a couple?

Old 04-25-2015, 09:43 PM   #22
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

They are harmless.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:55 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Regular

So, speedy reproduction isn't something I need be concerned about, then? Super.

She'll be thrilled, and I can thank you
Old 04-26-2015, 04:07 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Check into Caribbean Rock Anemones - colors and prices are crazy different from 8.99 to 99.99+. I have a couple recent additions and think they are neat and I can't find much to not like about them for a lower light set up. Basically I am a noob and still learning. I dream of a kind of tank I could keep a Mandarin or pair in...

This was the 8.99 one which I love (-20% discount).

the 9.99 one (-20% disc.)

Here it is in the center top down shot in the tank after it was acclimated and dropped in, kinda slipped out into the middle of things after sticking its foot on the bag. But you can see the white color a little better.

This is after he got seated into a hole in the rock, blends in and looks like a rock. If you search images, you can see really beautifully colored one which cost more...

Not sure how long you would need to wait for one of these, but I absolutely enjoy watching and love this guy. Feed Macro Algae and now starting some seaweed sheet chunks which he will immediately grab and start munching. Collector Urchin aka Halloween Urchin, they can be different colors.

This is a funny pic of him carrying around the Fern and Grape Caulerpa which after a few days he ate ALL of it in one night except 2.5 "leaves" of the fern.

He also sucks off the algae on the suction cup a couple times now already.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:13 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular

If I follow the advice from some of the seasoned pros I have received (thank you again), I have 6-12 months to do my research, so your input is super helpful!

If nothing else, doing salt water "right" is an exercise in patience.

Pros - can I add my cleaner crew now, or would it be prudent to wait for them as well? I am thinking about possibly looking at adding fish this week or next...
Old 04-26-2015, 07:20 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Regular

One other question - I have reasonable quality city water and a friend with a RO/DI system, so they have been supplying me with water so far, but I would like to get my own (of course). Any recommendations?

I saw one for $75, but it seems far too cheap - I was expecting to pay at least double that...
Old 04-26-2015, 07:37 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yes to the CUC anytime you want.
And BRS(Bulk Reef Supply)has great choices on RO/DI systems, from basic to bells and whistles!
Old 04-26-2015, 09:40 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
Define dirty water?
XX nitrates?
Or unstable new tank type water?
Or unkept?
My nem split into two last fall(7 years old then) and that water is any thing but dirty!
Dirty as in soft coral, fish only tank dirty. Not new tank unstable, changes water weekly 20%

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 04-26-2015, 09:42 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

Stay away from mandarin unless u are willing to either dose pods, raise them in sump, or they are trained to eat other foods.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 04-26-2015, 06:10 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Regular

Regarding the Astraea I asked about earlier, I guess timing is everything... I found a little 3 legged guy on the glass today.

My daughter has fallen in love. She is 9 and is disabled (she has had 3 strokes)... she declared the 3 legged star fish "just like me - good enough".

Makes a mom choke up.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com