George's 28G Nano Cube Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Honestly, if your nitrates are high I'd add a pumping Xenia as a first coral. Unlike many corals they'll actually help to lower nitrates a little as they grow. They almost work like a plant in that way. Some people even setup Xenia scrubbers that function in the same way as algae turf scrubbers. They spread really fast so if you can't sell or trade them you just throw them out and watch more grow at the stump.

Other than that it depends on what type of tank you're gunning for. I prefer soft and LPS tanks as they're far easier to manage as far as dosing and water quality goes. You can add a Kenya tree, some green toadstool leathers, zoas, palays, mushrooms, trumpets, frogspawn, torches, etc...

My brother just got in a package deal of mixed soft and LPSs on Saturday that he ordered online. He got 12 corals total and they all came in looking beautiful. That's an option if your LFS prices their livestock as ridiculously high as the ones around here.

Honestly, if your nitrates are high I'd add a pumping Xenia as a first coral. Unlike many corals they'll actually help to lower nitrates a little as they grow. They almost work like a plant in that way. Some people even setup Xenia scrubbers that function in the same way as algae turf scrubbers. They spread really fast so if you can't sell or trade them you just throw them out and watch more grow at the stump.

Other than that it depends on what type of tank you're gunning for. I prefer soft and LPS tanks as they're far easier to manage as far as dosing and water quality goes. You can add a Kenya tree, some green toadstool leathers, zoas, palays, mushrooms, trumpets, frogspawn, torches, etc...

My brother just got in a package deal of mixed soft and LPSs on Saturday that he ordered online. He got 12 corals total and they all came in looking beautiful. That's an option if your LFS prices their livestock as ridiculously high as the ones around here.

Well, they're not too high, but not where'd want them to be for corals. Ultimately I want below 5 eventually. But will Xenia take 10-20 ppm of nitrates? Seems like a really cool first choice

Yes, definitely soft corals, they're easier and my lighting is probably decent for a lot of them.

Sweet, where did he order from? Yeah, corals are kinda pricey around here too, fish aren't too bad though

They work best to keep low nitrates low. I'd still recommend water changes and very light feeding as the best option to deal with nitrates. Any coral will have an adjustment period at the beginning. Starting with low nitrates will be key.

He got them from Aquasd. They have a nice selection of softies. :)

They work best to keep low nitrates low. I'd still recommend water changes and very light feeding as the best option to deal with nitrates. Any coral will have an adjustment period at the beginning. Starting with low nitrates will be key.

He got them from Aquasd. They have a nice selection of softies. :)

Yeah, I'll try to get them as low as possible first :)

I'll have to check them out! Thanks

Not if you have plenty of rock. Remember, the rock and sand is where you want the bacteria to live. Many people don't even use filter floss at all.

Not if you have plenty of rock. Remember, the rock and sand is where you want the bacteria to live. Many people don't even use filter floss at all.

Yeah, I have about 21 lbs of rock, and 35 lbs of sand, I just wanted the floss to catch some of the crap and polish the water. I should change it weekly though because I bet it contributes a lot to the nitrates

Would it be too soon to add the royal gramma tomorrow? And then chill with new additions for a while. The store only has one left, on sale

If you test ammonia and nitrite and get zero or trace you can probably feel good about adding that gramma. You can rinse the brine shrimp and lightly feed them 1/8 of a cube (max) with the pumps off until you're sure the bacteria is up to snuff. I doubt you'll have a problem. Rinsing the brine will help with "run-off" pollution from the frozen food and turning off the pumps will help them find it before it gets lost and causes algae. I'm sure you already do this stuff but just to be sure. ;)

Yup, he's such a lil clown, both ammo and nitrites are 0 and nitrates actually dropped lol

I know exactly what you're talking about with the runoff! I do rinse, but never thought to turn off the pumps, I'll do that next time, thanks :)

Lol his name is Buster ;)

image-2717013300.jpg

Attachments

• image-2055082348.jpg
    image-2055082348.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 83
Buster is cool! lol

Lol thanks :)

So what kind of stuff should I pick up to be able to keep some corals? Specifically what types of tests. I know there's a lot of info on the web about this, but all the sources suggest different stuff

Lol thanks :)

So what kind of stuff should I pick up to be able to keep some corals? Specifically what types of tests. I know there's a lot of info on the web about this, but all the sources suggest different stuff

API saltwater and reef test kits for now. Get your feet wet then you can look into Red Sea or Salifert kits. Up to you.

API saltwater and reef test kits for now. Get your feet wet then you can look into Red Sea or Salifert kits. Up to you.

I'll just stick with API ones until I become more experienced :)

So, I have a phosphate one already, I'd need a calcium, alkalinity and what else?

And is it normal for my clown to be swimming vertical in the back? He's been doing it all day. He's staying in the back, swimming back and forth and then he'll go vertical and just kinda swim. I thought this was normal But he hasnt been in the front at all like he used to, so I wasnt sure

Back
Top Bottom