George's 28G Nano Cube Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How do you know it's the heater? I'm with the others, i've never heard of that. If it is happening you might want to consider getting a new heater lol.

Check your TDS meter as well, I was having issues with high TDS then found there was a 5 point variance on my meter.

skywhitney said:
How do you know it's the heater? I'm with the others, i've never heard of that. If it is happening you might want to consider getting a new heater lol.

Check your TDS meter as well, I was having issues with high TDS then found there was a 5 point variance on my meter.

I don't know for sure I guess, but after I put the heater in the TDS started rising. And I tested it in a cup of 0 TDS water. After I swished the heater In the cup, they started to rise. I'm gonna try cleaning it some more, it has gotten better since I did. I guess it could be salt too since I did use it in saltwater once

How do I check for a variance on the meter?

skywhitney said:
are you testing the TDS of the water once the salt is mixed in?

No, it says error when I try. It only tests fw

But I figured a tiny bit of salt could be setting it off

What do you guys think is/are the best snails for a CUC? I'm probably gonna pick up a few tomorrow. I'm starting to see some Algea on the glass

Let it grow! Don't add snails yet let it build up and let the life start. I let my tank go for quite some time before I added 1 snail. I still have him I call him Gary......

Let it grow! Don't add snails yet let it build up and let the life start. I let my tank go for quite some time before I added 1 snail. I still have him I call him Gary......

Eh, okay. We'll see how long I can go without wiping it off myself!! Lol there's probably not enough algae in there to sustain them anyway.

STILL didn't get my royal gramma! Tomorrow for sure :)

^^^^^^^^

+1 also IMO you don't even need a CUC. It's just something fun to look at.

^^^^^^^^

+1 also IMO you don't even need a CUC. It's just something fun to look at.

Why do you think they're not needed? Im probably going to want at elast something to keep the diatoms under control when it hits. I'll probably be dealing with a bit of algae too until my nitrates and phosphates are 0. Picking up some chaeto and a brighter light today, should be tons of growth

The heater kept leaching TDS, so a new ones on the way :) I have to hold off on a pwc til Tueday.

Why do you think they're not needed? Im probably going to want at elast something to keep the diatoms under control when it hits. I'll probably be dealing with a bit of algae too until my nitrates and phosphates are 0. Picking up some chaeto and a brighter light today, should be tons of growth

The heater kept leaching TDS, so a new ones on the way :) I have to hold off on a pwc til Tueday.

Well I could really get on depth here but I'll spare ya lol. Don't wanna bore you. Now with that said and some may disagree and that's cool. Me personally I think the CUC crew and "build your CUC" or "we will build your CUC for you" is all marketing. Good tank maintenance, water changes, cleaning filters etc, not over feeding, the right light schedule all those things in check and a CUC isn't needed.

There fun to look at yes, but I'm talking real world, I don't think there needed. I know plenty of hobbyists that don't have a single snail, hermit or shrimp... There tanks are just fine.

People always talk CUC. It's not needed at all IMO.

We all can agree to disagree but I really don't see them as a vital part of any saltwater tank other the there cool to look at.

Also.... Some may say "I have algae in my tank what do I do?" And other suggest a CUC. That's all well and good except it only masks the issues why are you having algae to begin with? Etc etc etc.

That's the short version lol and of course just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

I see what you're saying. I don't exactly want to be flipping snails over everyday either lol

Do any of you guys have a refugium? I'm thinking of using a brooder lamp for the back of the tank to grow some macroalgae better. Anyone ever use these? I feel like it would heat the water overnight....
My caulerpa now has not grown, or died at all with my stupid little LED thing lol

I three away all the caulerpa, it was turning clear. I think its going sexual on me. Its gone anyway. The skimmer collection cup is stuck underneath a baffle behind tthe tank, is it okay to run it without a cap? Lol

Oh, and WHAT THE ** IS THIS?

ForumRunner_20130125_174121.jpg

ForumRunner_20130125_174137.jpg

He was in the caulerpa. I was so disgusted lol

What in the world is that thing? I've been the game a long time and other than maybe some type of cucumber I couldn't say at all. I'd put it in the sump for now just in case.

What kind of LED do you have over your refugium? I used a CFL for over 10 years without any issues. My brother put a 10w LED floodlight over his refugium and he loves it. He's even got coral cuttings in there that are doing fine. He's going to add a second 10w LED royal blue floodlight in the sump to try to bump up his coralline growth on the DIY rock down there as well as let him grow more cuttings in the refugium. (I have the light at my house because he didn't know how to swap out the LED chip from 6000K to blue)

No light will stop culerpa from going sexual, sadly. I happen to love CUCs but I believe way less is better than to many cleaners.

What in the world is that thing? I've been the game a long time and other than maybe some type of cucumber I couldn't say at all. I'd put it in the sump for now just in case.

What kind of LED do you have over your refugium? I used a CFL for over 10 years without any issues. My brother put a 10w LED floodlight over his refugium and he loves it. He's even got coral cuttings in there that are doing fine. He's going to add a second 10w LED royal blue floodlight in the sump to try to bump up his coralline growth on the DIY rock down there as well as let him grow more cuttings in the refugium. (I have the light at my house because he didn't know how to swap out the LED chip from 6000K to blue)

No light will stop culerpa from going sexual, sadly. I happen to love CUCs but I believe way less is better than to many cleaners.

Idk!! Scared the crap out of me when it fell out of the basket onto the floor and was flapping around. I killed it lol. I doubt it's a cucumber, it almost looked like a common earthworm

Um, it's a cheap little LED light strip that came with a kit. The caulerpa did grow with it a little, but not like it should have I think. I was gonna get a regular 6500 k cfl and see how that goes for my new chaeto :) I gotta find one of those clip on lights.

Oh, and can you spot the gramma in this pic? ;)

image-206881796.jpg

CFLs are hard to beat and they grow loads of good algae. I just went to Home Depot to snag my clip-on work light.

Man, my antique iPod just isn't up to helping me find that fish. -_- lol

CFLs are hard to beat and they grow loads of good algae. I just went to Home Depot to snag my clip-on work light.

Man, my antique iPod just isn't up to helping me find that fish. -_- lol

Lol, yeah I realized that you can't even see it when your brightness is turned all the way down, but he's in the middle hole in the rocks :)

Uh oh. I screwed up you guys :/

From what i could see of the gramma, it appears he has a couple spots on his fins. He didn't have it yesterday. The clown is fine. I was stupid for not qt'ing and will now for sure. But what should I do? I'm not 100% sure it's ich, because he's gotten sand stuck on him all day and they fall off after a few minutes. On threads on 3reef, members were suggesting to leave it alone and let the fish fight it off. Hopefully it really isn't ich and it will go away. I'm gonna wait it out a little. I'm all worried now :/

He isn't scratching or irritated, eyes are clear and everything. He's just starting to venture out of the rock :)

image-2702439669.jpg

The spot in the pic on his head is sand, it fell off after I took the pic

Some people bump the temp up a little while a fish has ich. I usually go 80° and I add garlic to the frozen and freeze dried food. That may not to do much but a healthy fish that's well fed will sometimes recover without meds, especially if it's early and the tank parameters aren't bad to begin with. You have both of those things in your favor already.

I'm also a big fan of VitaChem. Not specifically for any illness but for general good health and color. Foods like NLS Thera A have added garlic and it's often used in situations just like this, or as a substitute for separate garlic and vitamin additives. It's a fine every day food anyway.

I also have no problems with using copper in a bare bottomed 5-10 gallon quarantine tank with only PVC, slate or pots for shelter.

Some people bump the temp up a little while a fish has ich. I usually go 80° and I add garlic to the frozen and freeze dried food. That may not to do much but a healthy fish that's well fed will sometimes recover without meds, especially if it's early and the tank parameters aren't bad to begin with. You have both of those things in your favor already.

I'm also a big fan of VitaChem. Not specifically for any illness but for general good health and color. Foods like NLS Thera A have added garlic and it's often used in situations just like this, or as a substitute for separate garlic and vitamin additives. It's a fine every day food anyway.

I also have no problems with using copper in a bare bottomed 5-10 gallon quarantine tank with only PVC, slate or pots for shelter.

I'll bump it up a bit.

I do have nls that I can feed if he comes out of the rocks to eat! I'm hoping it goes away, fingers crossed :)

But if it doesn't, I'll prepare a qt tank, that'll be one PITA snatching a gramma up :/

Back
Top Bottom