Geting a 10gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thras

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok my friend is giving me a 10 gal tank and some live rock also said he would put my filter media in his tank for a couple of weeks any suggestions on fish or any thing should I still try to cycle how do u cycle a salt the same as a fresh water?

Imo it would be better to give you some filter media from his tank Yes you will still need to cycle your tank (fishless cycle) On a 10 gallon tank you will be limited on what fish you can add

Check out liveaquaria.com under nano fish. Many will do well in a 10 gallon.

Is the fishless cycle for a salt water the same as for a fresh water?

More or less, yeah, although die-off from the live rock might cycle it without pure ammonia.

Ok cool can't wait to get started on this one first saltwater do u have any tips on corals or fish should I use carbon in my filter I know with a planted aquarium u don't?

I don't have really any experience with saltwater, so I'm not an expert on which fish or corals would be best, although I do think you should stick to nano-fish and be careful not to overstock. As for the carbon, I'm not sure, I think I've heard it both ways.

On a small tank it will be a little tougher to keep water parameters in check so just be careful with coral because most like as close to perfect conditions as they can get Also what type of lighting is in your plans because you will have to have sufficient lighting for them to

Im not sure on lighting yet still in the planing stages don't even know what corals yet so it will be a little bit before I start because I know I need good lighting

Back
Top Bottom