Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-24-2015, 06:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Getting a 160ltr reef tank started

Hi there i am looking to change my f/w to s/w reef tank and am looking for help and advice on what to do and not to and what i need and what to stay away from. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1435179621.001013.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	274213this is my tank now.
Im not loaded so will be getting bit by bit
I have baught a deltec mce 300 skimmer
Was thinking of getting beamswork 2600 led light
What and how many powerheads?
I was thinking fluval e200 advance electronic heater
20/30 kg of white sand
20/25 kg of live rock
Corals ?bright fairly fast growing and as a beginer fairly hardy i gues
Fish. Clowns,flame angel,yellew tang,coral beauty,mandarine,blue tang but i suspect to big. These are some fish i like im not saying im going to get them all but would like to know in your experience what i could have out of them together how many or just other suggestions.
Im not going to use a sump simply cos i dont have the room as my living room is mainly taken up by toys,hopefully as the kids grow the toys will shrink and my tank can grow and get sumped
Also what test kits do i actually need,and what ones are crap so i dont waste money.
P.s im not going in blind i have been doing my research and will continue doing so
Thanks for your time and any advice,tips,help and guidence will be much appreciated
Cheers mark

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 06-24-2015, 06:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oh and what shrimp and crabs to get and how many.
Cheers

Old 06-25-2015, 07:45 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff82 View Post
Hi there i am looking to change my f/w to s/w reef tank and am looking for help and advice on what to do and not to and what i need and what to stay away from. Attachment 274213this is my tank now.
Im not loaded so will be getting bit by bit
I have baught a deltec mce 300 skimmer
Was thinking of getting beamswork 2600 led light
What and how many powerheads?
I was thinking fluval e200 advance electronic heater
20/30 kg of white sand
20/25 kg of live rock
Corals ?bright fairly fast growing and as a beginer fairly hardy i gues
Fish. Clowns,flame angel,yellew tang,coral beauty,mandarine,blue tang but i suspect to big. These are some fish i like im not saying im going to get them all but would like to know in your experience what i could have out of them together how many or just other suggestions.
Im not going to use a sump simply cos i dont have the room as my living room is mainly taken up by toys,hopefully as the kids grow the toys will shrink and my tank can grow and get sumped
Also what test kits do i actually need,and what ones are crap so i dont waste money.
P.s im not going in blind i have been doing my research and will continue doing so
Thanks for your time and any advice,tips,help and guidence will be much appreciated
Cheers mark

Have you got t5 lights at the moment? I'd just upgrade the bulb to a marine white for now if you don't have much money. You don't really need brighter lights until you get some light hungry corals anyway. I'd get 2 powerheads upto total of 1000ltrs hour that'll be 10x the capacity. Corals I'd suggest leather, Xenia (grows very quick) zoas or torch/hammer corals to start. Out of that list of fish I think you could have 2 clowns and a mandarin. The others get way too big for that size of tank. Mandarins need live food as they constantly look for food, you can get a lucky one which will eat anything you put in the tank for the others though. I'd also say you only need 16kg live rock and just one bag of sand would do.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 06-25-2015, 11:19 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok great thank you.
The light is a t8 but one doesnt work and the other only works when it wants so ive had to tie another light i had to it frim a smaller tank.
Cheers 👍🏻

Tags
reef, reef tank, star, start, started, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com