Getting a 55 gal FO ready

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrpope

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am going to start a 55 gal. FO tank soon and I was wondering if I have to use live rock to successfully maintain my aquarium. I would rather not use it because of the article I read at :
www.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/Articles/2002-march pg 6.htm

If it is possible to keep a healthy aquarium with little or no live rock, what would I need to accomplish this? Would a:
1) Magnum 350 pro system w/ biowheel
2) Prizm skimmer
3) A supplimental bio filter if needed

be good filtration methods?
Any recommendations would help!

PS: If I have to use live rock, is it ok to add little amounts at a time as long as it was cured well at the LFS, or will this just mess everything up?

Is It possible? Sure it is. But you will find that the LR will stabelize the system and run more smoothly. Usually will allow better stocking levels as it will help with ammo, and Nitite conversion. JMO
Also yes you can add LR that is LFS fully cured without any problems. Thats how I stocked my very first 55 gal Reef. HTH

IMO, why would you want to house a fish tht comes from the ocean, in an environment different than he came from?

That article was as much information I like to keep in the LFS when I walk out of them.. Sure LR can house parasites.. So can every kind of rock, dried coral, ornaments etc... I would not let that article be the determining factor in your pruchase of the fish's natural setting... I mean come on, the rocks come out of the ocean where the fish come from...

With proper acclimation, quarrantine, water chemistry, and diet, you can have a very healthy and parasite free marine tank, reef, whatever....

LR has been proven scientifically to greatly improve the health and longevity of marine tanks and their inhabitants...

Live rock should not be used in marine fish tank situations mainly because of the ability to house parasites and infectious bacterial strains. Fishes such as angels (Pomacanthidae), tangs (Acanthuridae), and butterflys (Chaetodontidae) are generally kept in marine fish tanks. These fishes are more apt to carry or contract disease, making it more likely medications will have to be used at some point in time to keep the community safe.

I cant tell you how much I disagree with that statement as a whole.

I agree with fishfreek. I used to keep LR free tanks years ago, and encountered far *higher* incidents of death and disease than my current LR stocked tanks. I was *never* able to keep angels before I started using LR.

While I agree that LR does incur a greater degree of variables upon setting up, there are ways to avoid it. The biggest being there's no law that says you have to buy LR off the internet freshly pulled from the Pacific two days ago. I buy all my LR from established LFS tanks that have healthy fish in the same tank.

I think wseaton summed it up perfectly. Sure, LR has the possibility of carrying anything, good or bad. However, if you pick LR from a reputable source, that has been properly cared for or in an established tank, then you can take calculated risks. To say it should not be used, that is a bit of a harsh statement. While I think he has some calid points and is entitled to his opinion, I don't think any of us are gonna dump all of our LR out to save the fishies!

:hat:

Back
Top Bottom