Getting a 57g Rimless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonathan0909

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
One of my friends is offering me a 57g rimless deep blue tank with a skimmer, lights, sump, LR, LS, and return pump, would I need anything else to start the tank or is that all?

Thats is pretty much all you need to get started though a RO/DI water system would be a good investment to make before you start.

It doesn't actually put that much out its just how much it "could" handle, it actually puts out about 15-20 gallons per day. If you look up Carey she has a link to a small counter top unit she used that's good for a lower budget but if you want a higher end system look on bulk reef supply, my unit is from aquasafecanada.com. I had a discount code and got it for about 170 shipped.

Oh and a general rule of thumb is to buy online or from classifieds. This is an EXPENSIVE hobby so every little bit helps. LFS have to make a profit so they are more expensive so if you have the time available to wait for shipping then online is often cheaper and typically way cheaper.

Ok thanks good thing about the tank is that the guy is selling it to me reef ready, always a good thing.

Also just wondering can't you put saltwater into the system. My lfs sells salt water.

You can buy their premixed salt water but most people prefer mixing their own as it allows freedom to choose salt with different levels of additives such as calcium plus it is cheaper in the long run.

Ok what I'll probably do is just use the lfs water for a couple of months then buy the RO/DI system.

Also I'm buying the tank reef ready does that mean that I'll still need to cycle it?

Jonathan0909 said:
Also I'm buying the tank reef ready does that mean that I'll still need to cycle it?

Reef ready usually implies the tank drilled with overflow, thats it.

Back
Top Bottom