Getting a green mushroom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NeoCatsy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a friend who is giving me a green mushroom. Any advice or suggestions? He is trading in the excess he has and is giving it to me for free.

Thats nice of him, What type of mushroom? Just make sure your water chemicals are all good and you have the right lighting, And it should be fine.

They're a pretty easy coral to look after. And if you lucky, it'll multiply.

Yes, its a reef light. Its a florescent green mushroom.

It is smooth on top or kind of knobby and bubbly?

A lot of normal mushrooms do well with lower lighting but if it's got bubbles, or knobs, all over it then it is likely a ricordia (florida or yuma) and they prefer higher intensity lighting (put them up nearer the top of the tank if you don't have strong lights)

They have knobs. I put them in the tank they moved up under the rocks and kinda look funny. Will they ever just adapt? Its been 2 days. Water specs are normal

Mushrooms do move, but not that quick. Not sure how they moved "up under the rocks" that quick. Are they just free floating, or are they attached to something? If they're free floating, you're going to have to tie them down to something or they'll just float away in the current and get buried in some nook or crannie somewhere. You can't glue them - too slimy.

Yes, its a reef light. Its a florescent green mushroom.

I have no idea what a reef light is.

Mushrooms can move, but they certainly don't do it quickly. They usually pull the foot along until it rips from the rock. If they've moved up and under rocks they may not have been properly attached.

You can use the netting that onions come in and some rubber bands to secure them to some rocks and then leave them in a very low current area for about 2 to 6 weeks to allow them time to attach themselves to the rock.

Back
Top Bottom