Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-23-2011, 12:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Getting a New Coral...any suggestions?

24" Nova Extreme 4x24watt (5 Months Old 3/7/11)
T5HO 2-10k/2-460nm actinics
96w total wattage

I'm looking to add some diversity to my tank I have a buncha of Kenya Tree coral that's a pinkish color, 2 green mushrooms, 1 red mushroom, and a pagoda cup coral...

I really like the brain corals and I like that it goes in the substrate...anyone got any other suggestions? I dont have that much pallys and I'm looking for something that will cover a rock, fast.

Could you include how hard it is to keep them and how to feed them if applicable?

TheTrav13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
If you don't mind green star polyps they grow fast and will cover everything. Some polyps like nuclear green ones do well in that light.. Brain coral and frog spawn will do pretty well under your light too. These are all easy to keep and really don't need to be fed. Anthlia and xenia is another two that will spread quickly.

joy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
Thanks for the suggestions joy I appreciate it. I went to my LCD and they had a nice frag of the green star polyps I'm looking to snag.
I also want to add o have a pretty high flow of current I'm my tank. I'm running a Cora I've 750gph powerhead and it's a 29 gallon so if that has any effect on the type of coral let me know.
TheTrav13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Hiya. I just started collecting corals and the open brain is one of my favorites. I'm having trouble though with it bleaching even on the bottom. :-( Do you have any zooa's? They are hardy and can add great color to your tank. I like the green stars too, I have one of them and its real nice to watch.

I'm also running a 29 gallon tank, I've got two koralia 750's running and the flow is adjusted pretty well I think no corals are getting hit too hard.

Good luck, post some shots of what you end up buying. I love pics! LOL
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #5
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I think the brain coral idea was a good one. Several different types out there. I have these two types

Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0252.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	31938

Name:   100_0693.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  9.2 KB
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

coral, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com