Getting A RO/DI Water System For Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diamonte

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been doing so much research in the past week on starting my first Saltwater tank. Heres my question Everyone is saying that you absolutely have to have a Ro/DI system in order in have a Saltwater tank. I know some wouldn't recommend using distilled water but I might have to because I cant afford to get a RO/DI system right now. For one I dont have anywhere to put it in my house, for two my mom is renting so we cant just mess with the water lines or what ever its called (Plus our landlord is kinda strict on curtain stuff and that would be an issue) The only problem we are having right now on starting the tank, is the WATER. Everyone says no for tap water, distilled water isnt recommend but could work, and RO/DI water is what we need but we cant put it anywhere or set one up. SO what should I do? Theres gotta be something. I would be setting up a 20 gallon high tank if that helps....

What about a RO Buddie System? Its small and and maybe right for me to go

A marine tank will only be as good as the water you are putting into it. You can normally buy RO water from an LFS if you are unable to make it yourself but most don't have 0 TDS !!

You don't have to chop or alter any pipes you can get tap adaptors. By not using RO water you will be adding nutrients to your system and in turn will give you problems with algae ect.

You could also see if there a member local to you who you can buy the RO off as it will definitely be far better quality then LFS water.

I am often surprised by the dislike for RO/DI water use.

Yes water with its wonderful minerals is exactly what our tanks need.

But I'm in California. A year ago my tap water turned grey, then brown, then yellow. We tested it and the ppm was like 500+ and we had no idea what the municipalities were passing on in the water. What kind of minerals were in there?

To be safe we began using DI water and adding minerals we knew were needed ourselves. To control what was in it and to insure it was safe.

I wish I could use tap and save a bit of money. But I would rather not risk my fish.

29g fresh with Betta, Kuhli's, Neons, Denison Barbs, ADF, Mystery and Nerite Snails.

Some plants: Anubias, Java Fern, mosses and other misc.

8g Biorb with Betta and plants.

10g Mystery Snail Nursery

5g Plant grow tank with Pink Ramshorn Snails

Back
Top Bottom