Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-18-2003, 08:37 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Getting a tank going after 7 years in storage

I have recently retrieved the saltwater tank I had in college from my parents garage where I stored it after graduation and the ensuing moves that starting out in the world requires. It's been unused for 7 years or so and I am now settled and want to start it up again. I've tested the pumps etc and all work fine, but are incredibly dusty / cruddy and so is the tank. Its a 29 gal long and since I've been away from the hobby for so long I wanted a little advice as how to best clean and set it back up. I'm pretty rusty at the jargon. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm also planning my little community and would like a hearty stock with some nice variety. I don't want to go big, just something simple and pleasing.

bookanow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 09:03 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
You can clean your tank with a water/bleach solution. Use 1 part bleach for 10 parts water.

You can also use white vinegar to help remove any mineral depostits that might exist on the tank.

Since the tank has been dry for such a period its good to fill it and let it sit for a few days someplace to check for leaks. As long as the garage has been protected from extrem temps your seals should be ok but its good to test before putting it up in the final location.

Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 10:46 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Throw all the pumps into a container with a strong water/vinegar mix and let them run (assuming they are submersible pumps) for a couple of days. They should come out looking like new. It will also get the deposits off of the impeller magnet.
Logan J
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 01:12 AM   #4

How is it coming along???
Old 02-21-2003, 01:12 AM   #5
I got both of my tanks and some equipment used and I used vinegar to clean the tank, pumps and parts. I then rinsed well and sanitized them with a bleach bath and then a gooooooood rinsing...worked rather well...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com