Getting a tank going after 7 years in storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bookanow

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have recently retrieved the saltwater tank I had in college from my parents garage where I stored it after graduation and the ensuing moves that starting out in the world requires. It's been unused for 7 years or so and I am now settled and want to start it up again. I've tested the pumps etc and all work fine, but are incredibly dusty / cruddy and so is the tank. Its a 29 gal long and since I've been away from the hobby for so long I wanted a little advice as how to best clean and set it back up. I'm pretty rusty at the jargon. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm also planning my little community and would like a hearty stock with some nice variety. I don't want to go big, just something simple and pleasing.

You can clean your tank with a water/bleach solution. Use 1 part bleach for 10 parts water.

You can also use white vinegar to help remove any mineral depostits that might exist on the tank.

Since the tank has been dry for such a period its good to fill it and let it sit for a few days someplace to check for leaks. As long as the garage has been protected from extrem temps your seals should be ok but its good to test before putting it up in the final location.

Throw all the pumps into a container with a strong water/vinegar mix and let them run (assuming they are submersible pumps) for a couple of days. They should come out looking like new. It will also get the deposits off of the impeller magnet.
Logan J

I got both of my tanks and some equipment used and I used vinegar to clean the tank, pumps and parts. I then rinsed well and sanitized them with a bleach bath and then a gooooooood rinsing...worked rather well...

Back
Top Bottom