Getting back in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fat_Penguin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55g saltwater tank that has been fishless for over 6 months. Due to a unexpected 8hr+ blackout while away from home, almost everything in my reef was wiped out. I have been maintaining the tank fishless with some star polyps that survived along with 7 nassarius snails. I was wondering if there are any good suggestions on a back-up powersupply I could use for my tank to prevent this from happening again. Also, I was wondering if it is safe to add a yellow tang into the tank or if I need to cycle the tank again before I do.

Hi Penguin
Realistically there are only 3 ways to do a power backup,
1- get 12 volt motors and 12 volt batteries,use a normally open contact to energize the dc motors when line power fails.
2- get a LARGE UPS with a 120 volt inverter build in
3- get a generator with a transfer switch
I use the 3rd option as I consider it to be by far the best.
I am an electrician by trade so I did it for a much lower cost then is available to most however it is not as expensive as replacing a well stocked tank.
The advantages are as follows
1/ can run all tank equipment lights,heaters,pumps
2/ if generator is running on natural gas it will never run out of fuel
3/ can run house furnace and or a/c to maintain house temp normal
4/ wife not pi**ed at you since only thing working in the house is your tank
I run a 6.5 KW gen on gas and it will handle any emergency, the gen is around 1,000 and the transfer switch another 600 and finding a electrician friend should not be hard
As far as the tank ya I would cycle it again

Thanks for the helpful advice. I guess I'll look into option #3 and cycle my tank before adding fish in. Hope things go better for me this time around ...

If you have been maintaining the tank as normal for 6 months....no recycling would be needed as in...you have been doing water changes and throwing in some flake for feedings every now and again....checking parameters and everything still cks out ok....

Throw some food in the tank and test for ammonia. If you have no ammonia, your bio-filter is still intact. I would add maybe a fish a month, just to let the LR/substrate build up the bio-filter.

Back
Top Bottom