Getting back in - 40 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is the struggle with the skimmer?

When i first plugged it in, water would come out the top. I stared messing with hoses and got it to stop overflowing, but then the water would make a chugging noise. I guess i dont even know what it is supposed to do, i was just told i needed one and it came with my sump.

Tested the water today;

high range ph - 8.2
ammonia - 8.0
nitrite - 5.0
nitrate - 10 or 20, hard to tell

this stupid decaying shrimp is stinking up my whole apartment!

this stupid decaying shrimp is stinking up my whole apartment!

Blech! :eek:

When I cycle a tank, I add one drop per gallon of pure ammonia and then test to see when it and nitrites again reach zero. I keep doing that until the cycle takes only 24 hours to complete.

Takes patience, but it does save on a stinky home. :D

I couldn't find any of the pure ammonia anywhere, i really wanted to try that way!

I think all you need is a piece about the size of a pencil eraser.

Thanks for the info, but the tank has been cycling for a few weeks now, i think its almost finished actually. Ammonia has dropped a lot..

So this is the skimmer that came with the sump i bought. Its a terrible picture, sorry, but i'm trying to get it cleaned up a little. There is no name on it or any kind of numbers to identify what it is.

Any time i try to test it in the system water just comes out the holes in the top of the cup
IMG_2225.JPG

Back
Top Bottom