Getting back in and considering a Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi All,

I am getting back into SW and considering a reef tank. I have plans to get a 125 gal, looking for a good price on a package deal. I successfully setup and maintained a 90 gal FOwLR a few years ago, but had to shut it down when I moved.

I need to understand the additional equipment, chemicals and maintenance required to keep a healthy reef. Pour it on! I'm a sponge.

TIA!

Lights are your first step. second is flow. As far as chemicals Maybe I dont understand your question but most of that will be supplied by waterchanges and such.

Why dont you tell us your plans or what you want to acheive then we can recomend.

OK. I may have lucked out. I found a complete system with tank, stand, canopy, lights, skimmer, sump, fish, LR, corals, and more. All for $550! I'm excited.

Problems: I need to move it myself and have never done that - please offer up advice for that process.

Next, I have zero equipment for SW! My first pass identifies that I need an RO/DI filter, PH buffer, Salt, Mixing tubs, PH's and heaters, tubing. What else am I not thinking about?

Are there RO/DI filter systems that aren't permanently attached to the sink?

So i decided to buy that system and they have all the equipment plus testers, food and more. All I need to buy is an RO/DI.

I am hiring a local LFS to do the move. Looks like the one issue i need to address is not keeping the sand. Once the tank is setup again, what's the best way to introduce brand new aragonite?

Before its set up again. Buy the bags before the move and have the LFS use the new sand when the re set up the system

So I'm thinking about lighting for my refugium. The tank is a 30 gallon and right now the media - LR, algae, sand etc are throughout the tank. I need to eventually prepare a new tank with baffles to compartmentalize the system.

That said, would this be enough? 25w Macro-Glo Adjustable Refugium Light - JBJ

I think tank dimensions are [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]36 1/4L x 12 5/8D x 16 3/4H.

I also have a 2 x 65W Coralife unit i used on a 20gHigh. I can mount that under the tank using supports at the top of the stand.

AND I have a 2 x 65 W Coralifie PC unit I had on my 55. That I can mount with the legs, but it will overhang until I get something else.

How much Wattage do I need for the refugium?

I appreciate the feedback!
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Stand pics

The Lumber
lumber.jpg

Bottom base with Backer Board (2x4, plywood and cement back board)

base.jpg

Top frame (Gap is to account for the overflow plumbing, will be supported about 1' down)

topframe.jpg

Legs

legs.jpg

Full frame before attaching to base

fullframe.jpg

So the inhabitants that I'm inheriting are as follows : Sailfin tang, Copperband butterfly (eats mysis), Cinnamon clownfish, lawnmower blenny, yellow tail damsels and a coral banded shrimp.

In addition to a bunch of soft polyp and mushroom corals, the tank also has pink and black brittle starfish and a (or a few) sand sifting star, a conch, snails and crabs and sand sifting snails?

I didn't keep starfish last time because I read they would eat the copepods. Is there any reason I shouldn't give to store for credit? Im also getting rid if the damsels. I hate damsels :(. Annoying little buggers.

not sure on the star (i would imagine they arent fast enough to get pods) and im glad the copperband eats, they seem to be fairly picky and hard to feed sometimes

OK. Initial research is that the sand sifter may need to go because if underfed, they can borrow in the sand and die, never to be seen again. Looks like the brittle star is an efficient detritus removal starfish. Seems the only issue I would have is with a clam if I got one, but I'm told I can place it up on the rocks and be okay.

I planned on using Killz latex sealer to protect the wood inside the stand. Is that going to be safe for the fish given that the tank water never touches the wood?

Probably, is that brand for water sealing? I would look for something called spar-varnish, it is used for water sealing sailboat decks. Spar-varnish also looks amazing. But what you have should be fine.

So I settled on Thompson' water seal. It is a wax and not an oil or water base, so it should be fine.

Update:

Got nitrates under control, added four clowns, setup new retro T5's (4x80w)

Lights are amazing! ATI's are great w/ tek reflectors Looks like sunlight. Corals ate perking up and i see more color:

Fish are doing great! I added both pairs at the same time and they love each other.

Thanks for the advice all!

I bought what I need for a QT including a T5 unit for corals. Once I get that cycled, I will probably try with corals.

I want to start with a Frogspawn of Torch. Any issues I need to know other than the positioning away from other corals? I'm assuming that's other LPS's....

What do I dip them in, how do I acclimate and how long to QT?

Attachments

• image-2263982547.jpg
    image-2263982547.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 67
  • image-2111842342.jpg
    image-2111842342.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 60
Back
Top Bottom