Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-13-2011, 06:27 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

NCFishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:32 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Wow! Did you stub your toe too NCFishguy? Lmao!

"My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked, and it's price competitive. If you like, I'll trade for one of yours."
littleangel_dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:24 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
Originally Posted by littleangel_dawn
Ok, so far I think I have decided on a 150 gallon minimum (I just don't like the 18" depth idea - I saw a 120 that was approx: 48" x 24" x 25" - I like the more squared out depth to height vs. the narrowness of an 18").. I will probably have to get myself to somehow spend the extra on a 36" x 36" x 27" or look around for a custom sized 150 or bigger.

Anyways, back on topic, a 150 gallon glass minimum with these as a minimum equipment list:

3x Koralia 5 (1650 gph each)
CoraLife Protein Skimmer 220 (500 gph)
200 - 250 lbs. Live Rock
200 lbs. Live Sand
Aquarium Heater (big enough for a 150 gal)
Hood and Stand (I will probably build one myself for it with the help of my husband)

I am still stuck on:

What kind of Lighting System for a 150 gallon reef
and anything else I need.

Please give me your opinions and suggestions on all of this. Thanks!!
Depending on what you want to house as such corals there's alot of diff lighting. I like the diff growth patterns of sps corals, there for I would go with HQI with T5, and or compact. One could also spend a little more and go with LED's, more money but no bulbs to replace! Some people went with a six bulb T5, compared to the HQI, and did just as good. Plus saved some money on the light bill. It all depends on what you would like to do. I would check into reef LEDS thou. Alot of money up front, but saved one heck of alot over time!

twisted metal is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com