Getting back into Reef Keeping with my Husband of 2 months!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littleangel_dawn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there! I am getting back into Reef Keeping (this will be my 4th reef - the other 3 I got rid of cause of my ex and the 3rd one was going really well.. I miss it). My new guy (now husband) is very excited about me having my Reef Tank back (unlike my ex who didnt care for it). Anyways, when I get my money in December (if not before then) I plan on getting a 120 gal tank. I love Acroporas! I plan on having corals as well as a Naso Blonde Tang, Yellow Tang, Copperbanded Butterflyfish, Maroon with White Stripes Clownfish, Black & White Clownfish, Blue Damselfish, Blue Velvet Damselfish, a Longnose Hawkfish, and maybe a few others (thats just what I have been researching so far).

Anyways, I need help as far as what do you think of the fish list for a 120 gal reef and what equipment do you think I should be investing in for the best clarity and health of my tank??

With this list of fish.. what would you recommend for a minimum tank size?

What is the ratio of light watt/gallon you would suggest and what is a minimum of water-turnover rate you would suggest?

My last tank was a 55 gal and I believe it had a 48" T-5 HO 216 Watt Odyssea Light (with 2x 12000K Daylights, 2x True Actinics, and 4 Dual LED Moonlights). I also had 1x 850 GPH Koralia 3 Hydor Powerhead, 1x (unknown) powerhead 320 gph, a 305 Fluval, and a (unknown) protein skimmer.

With all of that, my 55 gal tank seemed super clear in clarity to the point where my fish looked like they wee floating in thin air. I want my tank to be that clear again but I don't remember all of the recommended ratios for minmum needs.

Here is an old pic of my 55 about 1 month before I got rid of it (due to my ex).

Attachments

• 55 gal saltwater 1st stages.jpg
    55 gal saltwater 1st stages.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 360
I'm sorry to say but maroon clownfish cannot be housed with any other clownfish :( they are the most aggressive and will probably even kill clowns of it's own species. Also, I think that the tank is too small for the naso tang. I would go for about a 180g if you can.

Thanks! I will keep that in mind for my Naso. I have had a Maroon and Black clownfish before in a 36 gallon corner and they got along just fine. So I figured 1 each in a tank well over 100 gallons would have no problem.

littleangel_dawn said:
Thanks! I will keep that in mind for my Naso. I have had a Maroon and Black clownfish before in a 36 gallon corner and they got along just fine. So I figured 1 each in a tank well over 100 gallons would have no problem.

When the maroon would get bigger the black clown would not make it. The black clown gets a max size of 3-4 inch depending in the sex. While the maroon can reach up to 7inch. The clowns might get along at start, but not for long. The bigger clown would turn into a female clown and the smaller one being the male. There for the maroon would be the female, twice the size of that male. It would not make it. I have seen a maroon pair and a black pair of clowns get along somewhat with in the same tank. This tank was 300gal thou, and both pairs stayed on the other ends of the tank.

I found a more up-dated pic of the tank just before I got rid of it. It shows the actual light set on it.

img_1491179_0_1ebdae9f9c8e01551191b141e2685a7d.jpg

I am not completely sure of whether or not I want to use the canister filter again. In the picture, its actually empty of filters and it was just being used to add some gph to the water turnover rate. I figured it wouldn't hurt since it was just sitting around the house.

I do believe that I am starting to think of a minimum of 150 gallons for my new reef tank. Would the above fish list be ok in that and what kind of equipment should I be looking at for minimum requirements?

I don't think I will do a sump (unless the tank I get has predrilled holes in it) because I don't want to deal with the hole cutting and pipe plumbing and I know that other people have done reef tanks without sumps.

Ok, so far I think I have decided on a 150 gallon minimum (I just don't like the 18" depth idea - I saw a 120 that was approx: 48" x 24" x 25" - I like the more squared out depth to height vs. the narrowness of an 18").. I will probably have to get myself to somehow spend the extra on a 36" x 36" x 27" or look around for a custom sized 150 or bigger.

Anyways, back on topic, a 150 gallon glass minimum with these as a minimum equipment list:

3x Koralia 5 (1650 gph each)
CoraLife Protein Skimmer 220 (500 gph)
200 - 250 lbs. Live Rock
200 lbs. Live Sand
Aquarium Heater (big enough for a 150 gal)
Hood and Stand (I will probably build one myself for it with the help of my husband)

I am still stuck on:

What kind of Lighting System for a 150 gallon reef
and anything else I need.

Please give me your opinions and suggestions on all of this. Thanks!!

littleangel_dawn said:
Ok, so far I think I have decided on a 150 gallon minimum (I just don't like the 18" depth idea - I saw a 120 that was approx: 48" x 24" x 25" - I like the more squared out depth to height vs. the narrowness of an 18").. I will probably have to get myself to somehow spend the extra on a 36" x 36" x 27" or look around for a custom sized 150 or bigger.

Anyways, back on topic, a 150 gallon glass minimum with these as a minimum equipment list:

3x Koralia 5 (1650 gph each)
CoraLife Protein Skimmer 220 (500 gph)
200 - 250 lbs. Live Rock
200 lbs. Live Sand
Aquarium Heater (big enough for a 150 gal)
Hood and Stand (I will probably build one myself for it with the help of my husband)

I am still stuck on:

What kind of Lighting System for a 150 gallon reef
and anything else I need.

Please give me your opinions and suggestions on all of this. Thanks!!

Depending on what you want to house as such corals there's alot of diff lighting. I like the diff growth patterns of sps corals, there for I would go with HQI with T5, and or compact. One could also spend a little more and go with LED's, more money but no bulbs to replace! Some people went with a six bulb T5, compared to the HQI, and did just as good. Plus saved some money on the light bill. It all depends on what you would like to do. I would check into reef LEDS thou. Alot of money up front, but saved one heck of alot over time!

Back
Top Bottom