Getting back into saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Don771

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First post here. I've been in the hobby for 30+ years but now I'm finally getting serious. I haven't had a saltwater tank since the early 90s. How things have changed! I had moderate success before but this time I would like to do better. I have read and researched till my head is spinning. I've got an Ro/DI unit, protein skimmer, pumps, lights etc. and am in the process of building my sump out of a 10 gallon aquarium. This will be used on my 30 gallon saltwater tank. I'm thinking FOWLR. Here's my question- I have a ton of old white coral that we used in the old days. Can I use this for a base and add some small live rock to it. I haven't been able to find much info on this. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Sorry I wrote a novel. Thanks.

Was it live rock before just dried out? I heard that's okay, and then add the live rock as a "seed" to start the dry rock to turn it live faster :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I faintly remember the 90s... Fun!
Is it the kind of fancy, bleached coral that looks like live coral but white? It's fine, but IMO tanks nowadays use weird, porous ugly live rocks that you can aquascape lots of different ways. Maybe integrate them?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yes. That's the stuff. I will probably integrate them. It will make a great base. Lots of holes, hiding places, caves etc. Plus lots of area for diatoms to grow on.

All I can say is DO NOT BUY DAMSELS! Especially with those deep rocks.

PS don't bother with a FOWLR IMO because corals don't have as much bio load, are more interesting and challenging. Unless you want a predator tank meh.

Back
Top Bottom