Getting back into Saltwater hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madlynb

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I am thinking of getting back into the saltwater hobby. I was a hobbyist back in 2008. I stopped due to my husband passing and it was a hobby he and I enjoyed together and I couldn't bring myself to continuing.
I had a 125 gallon saltwater setup with sump and all. My first, getting started question is, when I decided to stop I cleared out everything in my tank, sand, rocks and all. I didn't clean the tank very well. So, my first question is what materials do I use to clean up the tank of any leftover residue to prepare it for use again. I am going to start out slowly so I look forward to your input on this subject.

Thanks,
Madlyn

Welcome back I hope it brings you good memories and peace to be back I am new also but this site has a Tom of great and knowledgeable people here I am sure they will steer you in the right direction

hi madlyn. sorry to hear of your loss.
i would use a vinegar and water solution. 1:10 i suppose would be fine, but you could use straight vinegar if you liked. up to you.

Thanks Mr_X, I am concerned about using water because I don't have any RODI water available and I don't want to use tap water if it will affect the tank.

Purchase water from your lfs. It's worth the expense if you can't invest in your own unit.

for the first 3 months i used distilled bottled water from the grocery store and my water columbhas always been awesome.

either way you are just washign the tank out so tap water should be fine

Hey madlynb,
I'm sorry for you're loss. I'm sure you're husband will be helping you along the way in some fashion. I agree with Gti Leo tap water should b.e fine for just clean'n but if you want to play it safe go with the vineger mix. Good luck

Hey madlyn,....as with everybody,...i am truly sorry for your loss,... I'm also with mr.x , diluted vinegar and a little elbow grease should do the trick on cleaning up your tank,....hopefully you'll get back into your hobby and share your endeavors with us,.... We're friendly here! , Dary

Back
Top Bottom