Getting back into the Hobby!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Live2Fish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone, i currently have a 36g bow front tank I want to set up! its been a couple years since my last tank so i need some advice.

Right now i just have the tank and an Eheim canister filter (Capable for 30-75 gallons)

I was wondering on a little advice in regards to if i should switch to a wet/dry filter system and possibly some suggestions on lighting that could support an anemone.

Any other advice about anything would be awesome as well!

Thanks!

Hi there live2fish,..I personally took a twenty year absence from the saltwater world but I'm back and loving it,....first off I'd forget the wet dry idea ( possible nitrate producer ) and prob just focus on a nice little sump (20gal +) where you could grow some micro algae ( chaeto ) which will help reduce the nitrates that your tank will produces.... A nice in sump or a hang on back ( hob). Skimmer rated for something like 75-100 gallons will help reduce the waste that is flowing around in your water ( helping to reduce nitrates also ) ,.as far as the anemones go,...they require a very intense ( and usually pricey ) lighting system,.usually more so than is needed by the average corals,...also ,most anemones require a tank that is fully stable by being in business for about a year or so,...
I'd probably start off easy and slowly build towards your goal of keeping some anemones . It's all fun and there's so many great people here to help you out no matter what you may encounter along the way,...hope this helps a little,..enjoy the ride !!!!! , Dary

That's ok i guess, but i do not like that the skimmer sits in the return area. That doesn't make much sense because you have to have a steady water level otherwise you'll either have it overflowing or not skimming depending on the level of the water.

Is there any other reliable brand you suggest?

Thanks again!

Live2Fish said:
Is there any other reliable brand you suggest?

Thanks again!

If you are referring to protein skimmers,..then it's kinda like fords or Chevys ,... They'll both do the job ,but which do you like,.... Reef octopus skimmers are usually the skimmers that are suggested on this particular forum,., but there's alot of them that'll do the job,... I started off with a eshopps hob skimmer when I had my 75 gallon tank and was amazed at how much junk it pulled out of the water, .. I'd suggest looking around on the different vendor sites and see what they've got in your budget range ,...but before you buy ask here first , maybe someone has that same skimmer and has some issues with it ? ....like I said before shoot for something like double the amount of water you have in your system... 35 gal tank = 75 gal + skimmer etc
I think Doug ( mr x ) was referring to a wet / dry sump which has a very iffy return section,.. Your Skimmer( if in the sump ) will require a very stable water level to perform satisfactory,...that's why a regular partitioned sump may work best,..usually they are divided into three sections,the first ( normally ) is where your skimmer lives,...it's the section where your main tank drains into,..and is very stable as far as water level goes,.once it reaches a certain level it'll overflow into section 2 ,normally where your micro algae lives,..once this section fills up it'll overflow into the last section which contains your return pump which will return the water back to your main tank.
You may just want to avoid the whole sump issue and just use a hob skimmer and maybe something like a aqua clear 70 or 110 hob filter instead of a sump,... Your choice,..feel free to ask away,...hopefully someone here may have an answer or two,....hope this helps you a little.

It's also a very easy thing to make your own sump out of a standard glass tank, and it's much more affordable. I would much rather have a sump and have everything in it instead of things hanging on the tank.
Speaking of eshoppes, this one would be better if you used the center compartment for your skimmer-
Eshopps RS-100 Reef Sump - 75 to 125 gallons - 24 in. x 12 in. x 16 in. | Wet/Dry Aquarium Filters | Filters | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

And you can also do without a sump and skimmer and just feed reasonably and do weekly partial water changes.

I have the aqueon sump. It isnt bad keeping the skimmer in the return as long as you keep it topped off. I agree, it isnt the best place for it, but it works. It is a reliable piece of plastic. I wish the middle was larger, but it is nice. Dont know if it will be a good fuge, ill let you know. I do like the sump and it was great not having to put it together.

Back
Top Bottom