Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-08-2011, 12:56 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Man your lucky to have a store local to you like that. My LFS is gross, all tanks are constantly filthy, poor fishes taking dirt naps through out and absolutely no equipment, water....nothing! I have to drive hours to find one or do all my shopping on line

Old 03-08-2011, 01:12 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxVooDooxX View Post
Man your lucky to have a store local to you like that. My LFS is gross, all tanks are constantly filthy, poor fishes taking dirt naps through out and absolutely no equipment, water....nothing! I have to drive hours to find one or do all my shopping on line
That's awful! Both stores I've been dealing with are very well taken care of. Store #1 only deals in saltwater and they are very well respected (in spite of the tap water advice...lol). Store #2 is a full out pet store...they carry everything - reptiles, birds, freshwater, and saltwater. They even adopt out cats and dogs from the local animal shelters. They just moved into the location they're at now a couple of months ago and the saltwater tanks are the last thing to be populated...there's no fish yet and they said they still have a good two weeks before they'll start to put them in. So that tells me that at least they're willing to take the time and set everything up right so as not to unnecessarily harm fish.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:24 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
4 days out of water is a cause for concern. i would expect a cycle simply from the die-off on that rock. the elevated nutrient levels and light are what's causing a spurt of growth as far as the algae is concerned. the growing algae is not a good or bad sign, however, depending on the algae, you may have a fight on your hands.

79 cents a gallon equals to about $126.00 per 160 gallons. this is the size of an average bucket of salt mix. if you are doing regular water changes, it's not going to take long for a R.O.D.I. unit to pay for itself.
i would invest in one so that you can always have good water available. i would mix my own salt at home rather than rely on their water.

just a hypothetical situation- say it's sunday night and the store is closed, and one of your corals dies or something goes foul in the tank. you'll have to wait until monday (probably after work) until you can do a water change to correct it. in that situation, you might lose a lot more than a single piece. perhaps the entire tank.

a small ammonia source will be fine to see what happened with the bacteria colony. some food, some pure ammonia. just don't overdo it.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:10 AM   #14

Thanks for the advice... I have been looking at RO/DI units, but am a little unsure of how I'm going to install it and where. So I still have some work to do on that.

I put a little pinch of food in there before I left for work this morning...how long should I wait to test the water? I used the API test kit on it 2 nights ago and Ammonia/Nitrite were 0 and Nitrates were 10ppm...so I have that as a baseline.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:30 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

You live in an apt or house?

RO can go under a sink, in laundry room or garage.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:29 PM   #16

A house... so i do have options. Is there a difference between the RO DI units that are marketed for regular home use and the ones marketed for aquariums?

Rachael
stratomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:36 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

50 G Aquarium Reef RO DI 5stage Reverse Osmosis Water - eBay (item 110619193307 end time Mar-31-11 19:51:03 PDT)

Remove the top black filter as that will add back dissolved solids.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:33 AM   #18

Thanks... I did end up buying an RO/DI system... It's a Typhoon III. While researching, I just kept coming back to that one, so I hope it's a good choice. ...and I hope it doesn't take too long to get here.

Update on the 46g tank cycle...

I did add a pinch of flake food to the tank Tuesday morning and have tested the water twice now...once Tuesday night and this evening. No levels have changed. Is it too soon? Should I try some more fish food?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Rachael
stratomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:30 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i don't think a pinch is going to have enough effect. you'll need a little more of something. any frozen fish in the freezer? cut a 1" piece off and toss it in the tank.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:04 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Stratomom,

I understand your frustration, and believe me ive been there too. The problem is too many people want to give their opinion saying what they say is the way you should do it. Forums many times dont help much, because you dont know if the person giving you advice knows what they are preaching or know how to keep good tank husbandry at all.
Unfortunately, in this hobby, there is no guarantee and my advice is to read as much as you can on the internet from articles and credible sources about proper tank care. Books are outdated and have limited info, when you can get in your computer and search for everything you want. I have a couple of products I use that I learned by trial, and now trust. Of course, during my "trials" I made mistakes and learned from them. Listening from LFS's is in my opinion the worst thing, because many times(amazingly) they seem to give you bad information or try to push you something they have to sell. If I go today to 5 different stores around my house and ask about the best salt, I will probably get 3 different answers. Instant Ocean is a great brand, used by many, and maybe is not the best, but shouldn't be far from it. In any case, you could use it following its recommendations and have no issues keeping fish or corals. As far as filters, it depends on what size tank. I opted to get a sump, and I think it is the best thing you can do. Your tank will thank you for it. It allows larger volume of water, keeping a more stable system, allows you to hide some of the equipment, and giving you the room to upgrade your accessories to things you might consider in the future, such as extra filtration, protein skimmers...
For the cycling problem, I believe your live rock having come wrapped in paper and plastic would have kept lots of the bacteria and will speed up the cycle. I would add a small inexpensive fish and let it do the cycling...I dont like to throw food in the tank because you never know how much is right for the cycling to properly take place.
Don't feel discouraged, soon you will be happy with your tank telling about a good experience

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com