Getting frustrated...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stratomom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I knew when I started my tank back in January that there would be a lot of conflicting opinions on how to do things, but it seems like everything I do is up for debate. I found another LFS that is larger and closer than the one I originally bought all my tank supplies from. Of course in the opinion of this new store, I've basically done everything wrong...wrong water, wrong salt, wrong testing supplies...you name it. The original store knew that I wanted to have a reef tank and they told me that treated tap water and Instant Ocean would be fine to use along with the dip strips to test with. The new store says that I shouldn't use tap (which I do agree with now) and that Instant Ocean isn't good enough for reef tanks...they recommended a different kind (sorry, don't remember the name). And they talked me into buying the API test kit with the vials and solution...which I was thinking of doing anyway.

They also told me that I don't need to add anything to my 2nd tank to cycle it...I took this tank over from someone else so it was fully stocked with rock that had been in the tank for years. But my gut tells me I should still attempt to cycle it...there's nothing in it but rock so there's nothing feeding it. Ammonia and nitrites are 0 and Nitrates are about 10ppm...but that could be from my tap water. So I'm not sure what to do with the 2nd tank...

The thing that's even more confusing is that the books I have all say different things too...especially about filters and such. I keep telling myself though that I can't be doing too bad as I have not lost any fish and my one coral is doing great (those are all in tank 1).

I'm just getting frustrated...I don't know who's opinions to trust!

Thanks,

Rachael

Well what I would do is do a cycle any way just to make sure that u have a good bacteria level for natural filtration. As far as filtration... It's really up to you. I would recommend a sump it just makes things so much more easy and you don't have to keep buying filter media. Insta ocean is ok but I would recommend something else. I just don't like how it mixes. Even after mixing it for two days with a mixing kit I find it still leave the tank cloudy. Your test kit I would upgrade to the API just because they are more accurate then the test strips. All in all I would go with your gut when it comes to picking a store lol and plus if u need any Info this board is more then likely to help you. I personally would listen to the people on here over the Lfs but that's me.

i have a reef tank and i never have any problems with instant oceanit is just as clear as any other salt.

I agree with what your second LFS has told you. Everyone has an opion on what salt id best. The only way is that when you run out of one brand to try a different brand. To find out if your second tank has cycled is to add some fish food...not to much and see if the readings are still spot on. API test kits are a good choice. I would not use an outside filter as your LR is your main filter. If you already have one...remove the filter media and put LR rubble in it.

I know just how you feel in the frustration department! I have done so much reading and have asked so many questions to the LFS, other tank owners and everything in between! I can tell you that the people on this site have helped alot. And when it comes down to it, it's all about what you want to do and use! Opinions are always a good thing bit weather you take them or not is entirely up to you. Trial and error, I think I've been told that 2.5 million times! That's what it's all about, figuring it out as you go while getting advice from pros like the ones on this site! :)

Thanks everyone... :)

To find out if your second tank has cycled is to add some fish food...not to much and see if the readings are still spot on.

How much food is "not too much" (one pinch of flakes, two?)... and if it is going to cause the ammonia to rise...about how long would it take for that to happen? The tank in question is 46 gallons btw...

Idk for sure about the fish food. What I would recommend is adding pure ammonia to the tank to bring the level up to say.... .2 then test in a few days. If the ammonia levels read 0ppm then you are good to go.

if you transported the rock fully submerged there is a good chance that tank will not need a cycle. i would not add ammonia to a tank and risk killing off a lot of life on and in those established rocks.

while instant ocean salt won't hurt anything, it requires dosing to get it up to NSW, while many tailored "reef" grade salts do not. if you don't mind testing constantly and dosing accordingly, then stick with the IO.
otherwise, i would try some reef grade salts and find one you like.

if you transported the rock fully submerged there is a good chance that tank will not need a cycle. i would not add ammonia to a tank and risk killing off a lot of life on and in those established rocks.

while instant ocean salt won't hurt anything, it requires dosing to get it up to NSW, while many tailored "reef" grade salts do not. if you don't mind testing constantly and dosing accordingly, then stick with the IO.
otherwise, i would try some reef grade salts and find one you like.

The rock wasn't fully submerged...but it didn't dry out either. It was wrapped in tank water-soaked newspaper and wrapped in plastic. And then the day after I got it home, I put it in buckets of saltwater while I got the tank set up. It was outside of a tank environment for about 4 days. Both stores #1 and #2 told me it should be fine...which is why I was told not to do anything to it. So I guess I'm still not sure what to do. I don't want to go ahead and put fish in it in case it's not cycled...but I don't want to try to cycle and kill anything either! :eyes: I can tell you that any amount of algae that was on the rock has definitely come back to life...is that a good sign?

As for the reef salt...Store #2 sells premade RO saltwater for .79/gallon that contains the reef salt they had recommended. So I might give that a try. They showed me their commercial RO unit and the 300 gal tanks they mix everything in for their aquariums. It was pretty interesting...

Man your lucky to have a store local to you like that. My LFS is gross, all tanks are constantly filthy, poor fishes taking dirt naps through out and absolutely no equipment, water....nothing! I have to drive hours to find one or do all my shopping on line

Man your lucky to have a store local to you like that. My LFS is gross, all tanks are constantly filthy, poor fishes taking dirt naps through out and absolutely no equipment, water....nothing! I have to drive hours to find one or do all my shopping on line

That's awful! Both stores I've been dealing with are very well taken care of. Store #1 only deals in saltwater and they are very well respected (in spite of the tap water advice...lol). Store #2 is a full out pet store...they carry everything - reptiles, birds, freshwater, and saltwater. They even adopt out cats and dogs from the local animal shelters. They just moved into the location they're at now a couple of months ago and the saltwater tanks are the last thing to be populated...there's no fish yet and they said they still have a good two weeks before they'll start to put them in. So that tells me that at least they're willing to take the time and set everything up right so as not to unnecessarily harm fish.

4 days out of water is a cause for concern. i would expect a cycle simply from the die-off on that rock. the elevated nutrient levels and light are what's causing a spurt of growth as far as the algae is concerned. the growing algae is not a good or bad sign, however, depending on the algae, you may have a fight on your hands.

79 cents a gallon equals to about $126.00 per 160 gallons. this is the size of an average bucket of salt mix. if you are doing regular water changes, it's not going to take long for a R.O.D.I. unit to pay for itself.
i would invest in one so that you can always have good water available. i would mix my own salt at home rather than rely on their water.

just a hypothetical situation- say it's sunday night and the store is closed, and one of your corals dies or something goes foul in the tank. you'll have to wait until monday (probably after work) until you can do a water change to correct it. in that situation, you might lose a lot more than a single piece. perhaps the entire tank.

a small ammonia source will be fine to see what happened with the bacteria colony. some food, some pure ammonia. just don't overdo it.

Thanks for the advice... I have been looking at RO/DI units, but am a little unsure of how I'm going to install it and where. So I still have some work to do on that.

I put a little pinch of food in there before I left for work this morning...how long should I wait to test the water? I used the API test kit on it 2 nights ago and Ammonia/Nitrite were 0 and Nitrates were 10ppm...so I have that as a baseline.

A house... so i do have options. Is there a difference between the RO DI units that are marketed for regular home use and the ones marketed for aquariums?

Thanks... I did end up buying an RO/DI system... It's a Typhoon III. While researching, I just kept coming back to that one, so I hope it's a good choice. ...and I hope it doesn't take too long to get here.

Update on the 46g tank cycle...

I did add a pinch of flake food to the tank Tuesday morning and have tested the water twice now...once Tuesday night and this evening. No levels have changed. Is it too soon? Should I try some more fish food?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

i don't think a pinch is going to have enough effect. you'll need a little more of something. any frozen fish in the freezer? cut a 1" piece off and toss it in the tank.

Stratomom,

I understand your frustration, and believe me ive been there too. The problem is too many people want to give their opinion saying what they say is the way you should do it. Forums many times dont help much, because you dont know if the person giving you advice knows what they are preaching or know how to keep good tank husbandry at all.
Unfortunately, in this hobby, there is no guarantee and my advice is to read as much as you can on the internet from articles and credible sources about proper tank care. Books are outdated and have limited info, when you can get in your computer and search for everything you want. I have a couple of products I use that I learned by trial, and now trust. Of course, during my "trials" I made mistakes and learned from them. Listening from LFS's is in my opinion the worst thing, because many times(amazingly) they seem to give you bad information or try to push you something they have to sell. If I go today to 5 different stores around my house and ask about the best salt, I will probably get 3 different answers. Instant Ocean is a great brand, used by many, and maybe is not the best, but shouldn't be far from it. In any case, you could use it following its recommendations and have no issues keeping fish or corals. As far as filters, it depends on what size tank. I opted to get a sump, and I think it is the best thing you can do. Your tank will thank you for it. It allows larger volume of water, keeping a more stable system, allows you to hide some of the equipment, and giving you the room to upgrade your accessories to things you might consider in the future, such as extra filtration, protein skimmers...
For the cycling problem, I believe your live rock having come wrapped in paper and plastic would have kept lots of the bacteria and will speed up the cycle. I would add a small inexpensive fish and let it do the cycling...I dont like to throw food in the tank because you never know how much is right for the cycling to properly take place.
Don't feel discouraged, soon you will be happy with your tank telling about a good experience;)

Back
Top Bottom