Getting LR tomorrow in tank w/LS Only - NH, NO(2,3) OK??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckycat

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am getting my first shipment of liverock (40 lbs) from liverocks.com tomorrow. I've had a 37g tank sitting ready with saltwater (salinity is 1.022, temp is 80 deg F). I added live sand from a bag at the lfs, and have had that in the tank for about eight days.

I just purchased a saltwater measuring kit tonight... my readings (if I'm matching the colors correctly): 8O

Nitrate 10 ppm
Ammonia 0.5 ppm
Nitrite 0.25 ppm
pH 8.2

Would the ls be causing these readings? I thought since that since there was no live in the tank nitrate/ite and ammonia would be 0. Boy was I wrong! Should I be worried at all?

I have a solution called Stress Zyme that my wife had from our freshwater tank..says it works for fresh and saltwater, and helps eliminate ammonia and nitrite. Should I put some of that in my tank before the lr is introduced?

dont worry... those readings are a good sign! it means that your tank is cycling. First ammonia rises, then nitrite, then ammonia falls, then nitrite. After that, your takn will be ready for fish.

Back
Top Bottom