Getting my 180g Ready. How to?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jason1985

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I'm ready to start my 180 gallon tank. My objective is to get everything inc substrate, rock and fish from my small tank into the big tank with hopes of not losing any fish.

I would like to use the water from the small tank.

I have all the extra rock I need cycling in plastic salt water tub at 80 degrees with good flow.

What steps should I fallow. Right now the big tank is setup at it's location and ready to start the process.

I would suggest adding your old tank substrate at the day or two before you add your fish, cuz your old tank will need the sand as well.

so add new sand, rocks to your 180gal to let the tank cycle, then move old sand to the new tank when the cycle is almost over, wait for couple days let the sand to settle , then slowly adding your fish one every 2~3weeks (why? cuz your new tank bacteria still need time to mature and adding all the livestock at once will increase the bio-load=bad.)

I would suggest adding your old tank substrate at the day or two before you add your fish, cuz your old tank will need the sand as well.

so add new sand, rocks to your 180gal to let the tank cycle, then move old sand to the new tank when the cycle is almost over, wait for couple days let the sand to settle , then slowly adding your fish one every 2~3weeks (why? cuz your new tank bacteria still need time to mature and adding all the livestock at once will increase the bio-load=bad.)

Well the only way I can remove the sand from my current tank and put into new tank is by remving all the live stock and rocks. Once the sand and rocks are removed fromt the smaller tank where should I keep the fish?

since your current tank is mature.
why not just get the extra sand and rock for your 180gal and after your new tank is cycle, add everything from your old tank to your 180.

and maybe you can use your smaller tank as sump or refugium, then u don't even have to move the sand and rock, just get a return pump.

or if u have a sump already, put your fishes in to the sump with your old tank water (but don't connect the overflow and return pump until your 180 done cycling.)

but first thing u need to do now its get your 180 cycle, then after that things won't be too hard. if u need to use your old sand and rock to cycle, then the only way is to remove your fishes and put them in another container then put them back to your smaller tank after u remove anything u have to. (remember to run skimmer for your fishes, then after u done cycling, slowly move your fishes and skimmer to your 180)

I wish I have a 180gal tank >o<

Personally if it was me, I would add sand and water to the 180, Add the rock from your current tank, and scoop a bit of the top sand out. Then move all the livestock to the 180 and trash or wash the old sand. The fish should be ok however, their might be a mini cycle, but possibly not. The rock and old sand will seed the new sand.

I personally would not add the substrate from the smaller tank. I would get all new sand as the sand you are using now is full of trash and waste. It`s not worth the effort to add and probably start an ammonia spike. If you have the new tank in a different location then do it in stages. The cured LR will help from having another cycle.

totally forgot the waste inside of the sand, sry about that.
listen to the AMD and melosu! they r good XP

It's just because my current substrate has some good life to it!

I just added about 150 gallon and salt mix. No substrate yet...

Back
Top Bottom