getting oil out of 5 gallon containers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tryin2make63

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
got some 5 gallon containers from work and they were used to hold peanut oil. is there a way to get the oil out so that i can use them to make water for my pwc?:confused:

I would try using an ammonia, water solution. I know ammonia works really well for cutting grease and I dont think it would be hard to get the jugs clear of the ammonia. PLUS you could test the water in the jugs for ammonia. But just my 2 cents.

I dunno if soap is a great idea if it will be holding tank water, but i use powder laundry soap to remove all the oil that spills on the floor from a car oil change. it works great it removing all traces of oil. I'm pretty sure the laundry soap could be washed out with enough water. Just another possible option

I'd try vinegar followed by copious rinsing. Ammonia sounds like a good option too, but I've never tried it. Definitely do not use ANY soaps.

Assuming that the peanut oil is not congealed in the bucket(s), you could remove the top rack from your dishwasher, and wash them two at a time. I washed a couple of new buckets this way so I could make spodies in them several years back. They should just fit in the dw.

Oil is tricky to get out, it's amphipathic, doesn't dissolve in water, and solvents which will break it down are likely much (in the case of peanut oil) more harmful to your fish than the oil itself.

you should be able to buy pure ammonia by the jug, dilute it with some water and use it to clean the buckets. Ammonia works exceptionally well at removing oils (hence they put it in cleaning products). then just use lots of water to clean the ammonia from the buckets.

Or just recycle them, and buy brand new oil-free buckets at the hardware store for like $5 or less. It's really not worth the risk messing with oil or solvents.

I'm going with Kurt on this one. Don't take any chances when you can go to home depot and buy brand new clean 5 gallon buckets for $2.93. I bought 4.. and i only use 2. Having backups is always piece of mind.

I'm going with Kurt on this one. Don't take any chances when you can go to home depot and buy brand new clean 5 gallon buckets for $2.93. I bought 4.. and i only use 2. Having backups is always piece of mind.
Agreed.

Have you considered absorb all. it looks like kitty litter and is used by the fire department to clean up oil after car accidents. its very inexpensive and better yet easy to clean up after its done.

Yeah.. i meant peace of mind. Not piece of mind. Unless you want a piece......

Back
Top Bottom