Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-14-2014, 05:47 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, i guess that it is going to come down to testing. I am gonna go ahead and buy one soon that way i can get the aquarium under way. Hopefully i can get some SPS and some hard corals in the tank. I aam hoping to have atleast 3 watts per gallon which for a 40B is 120W which is one of those lights. I do want to do a DIY project eventually wiht a LED light set up but for now i am just gonna purchase one as my time is literally non existant. Time to do a ebay hunt when i get home from work. Let me ask you a question? How often do you have to replace the LED units?

Old 05-14-2014, 05:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoNewb View Post
For DIY definitely check out LED Supply and Rapid LED. Check out the kits and you can price by that. They even have solderless LED's now that make it super easy and clean for a newbie with LED's (Like me) HAHA!
Holy crap that is cool. Definatly gonna have to look into those.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:06 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The watts per gallon thing is more for t5 or halides, not so much LEDs
Old 05-14-2014, 06:57 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is this your first salt water tank? There is a lot more to keeping sps than lighting. I am nearly 3 years in the hobby and try and stay clear of hard corals because they are more difficult to keep...
Old 05-14-2014, 06:59 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I agree with bectan. Acros are a pain in the butt. Lighting is needed but keeping stable alk/calc/mag is much more crucial ime. Same goes for keeping phosphates and nitrates low.
bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:39 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is not my first round with SW tanks. I dont have much experience with hard corals. I want to do this to get that experience. Just one of those things i have always wanted to do. The keeping stable alk/calc/mag is something ive dealt with before. Were i do not have experience is lighting for high light corals. I think i have decided that i am gonna go on ebay and buy a unit to see how it works out. The pricing isnt bad at all and i want to try them out. The hard corals are gonna be down the road anyways. I am just gonna instead of wasting money go ahead and buy the right light i want right away. I was just trying to get some info on what people thoughts were on LEDs. I think i have decided on taotonics LED lights and i am gonna supplement it with some actnic T5HO lights just for the effect it gives.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:36 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you get the blue/white dimmable panel then you should be able to dim the blues and whites independently. More blue than white to give you the look you're looking for without the need to supplement more blue.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:08 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

now coming from someone who dosent know a ton about lighting and coral (hence why i am here) is it the blue that gives the effect actnics give to corals, that glow? I thought it was a specific kind of lighting.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:22 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's the blue that causes them to radiate/glow. Some corals don't glow at all though.

There is more science involved that I won't get into but that is the basics.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:41 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Really, i never realized. And plz, science away. Ilike knowing the specifics about it. I love this stuff. Got any good articales i can read?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com