Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-13-2014, 01:17 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Getting preped

I am wanting to start my new SW tank soon and i am wanting to hard corals in the tank. I really like LPS and hammers and such. The one aspect with SW that confuses me is lights. I would like LED but idk were to even start too look to be honest. So i was wondering if i could get some advice on were too go direction wise. I am most likely gonna start with a 40 breeder and upgrade later on most likely.

SOOOOOOOOOOO

for the help ahead of time

Old 05-13-2014, 02:03 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Powerful and cheep! Blue and white is all that is needed! eBay is a great source for cheep LEDs! They must be dimmable! I will say take a lot of time to find exactly what you need! I did not and I am on my 4th set of lights!

Old 05-13-2014, 07:29 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

When looking at led you must get ones that are 3w per diode. There are a lot of LEDs out there that will not support corals. The taotronics ones are cheap and popular...
Old 05-13-2014, 04:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Let me ask you do you guys find LED's worth the money and the time to find? I was hoping they were i like the way they look and how they feel with my elctric bill but is it worth it? Or am i jumping ahead of myself and should just go the MH route? And i will look into the taotronics LED lights today and see what i find. Does anyone here have experience making there own and would they reccomend it?
Old 05-13-2014, 04:56 PM   #5

It's the difference of maybe an extra $50 and not having to replace for minimum of 7 years and saving hundreds of dollars over life of led vs. Cheaper initial investment more $ per month and replacing bulbs once a year, less are getting cheaper now as well

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 05-13-2014, 04:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Yep I'm with ravden. Leds save money, put out great shimmer and no $50-60 bulb changes every 8 months.
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:07 PM   #7

Just throwing it out I have been researching a lot over last year or so when I got interested In doing a salty. I have even seen price drops at lfs's over this time as the led fixtures are coming along the price is coming down. As long as you have 3w per and 10000 lumens your corals will have all they need for photosynthesis and look great

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 05-13-2014, 10:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

So that is what i should shoot for for what LED fixture to buy? 3 Watts per gallon? I am gonna get some actnics to accent the LED because i love having them wiht coral but i am just figuring out how much light i actually need. Anyone have any brands they have tried and suggest? Remember i wasnt LPS and hard coral so i need the good light.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:36 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

No it's 3w per led - look at the taotronics units off eBay - they are 120w total. Don't quote me but I think you only need one on a 40 breeder. Try and get the dimmable one. They can be programmed so they have the blue in them already
Old 05-14-2014, 12:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

DIY LED is a fun little project. A little savings but not a ton. The benefit is you can get exactly what you want. I just did my lights and love the look of them. Still cycling so I cant tell you how they are working out yet!

For DIY definitely check out LED Supply and Rapid LED. Check out the kits and you can price by that. They even have solderless LED's now that make it super easy and clean for a newbie with LED's (Like me) HAHA!

If you go for a led light definetly check out Nano Box Home I have heard nothing but good things about all of there lights. I was going to get the Duo if I didn't want to give the DIY a try!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com