getting ready for my 230 gal!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbrazil230

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all, I'm currently in the planning stage of my 230 gal plywood aquarium and I'm working on the design and doing research on equipment, I've decided to go with probably a 40 or 55 gal sump, which I need input on tried and true methods and as far as equipment I'm most worried about protein Skimmers, I think I would rather run a few small 1s as apposed to 1 great big 1 and I don't have a great deal of money so I can't afford to get the greatest new thing on the market, and I've been looking at lights too, my tank will be 8'x4'x2' and just a FOWLR so what would be the cheapest most efficient way to light it,

I would invest in the biggest protein skimmer you can afford. A few small skimmers aren't going to fit in a 40 or 55 gallon sump anyway. This sump will be constructed out of wood also? For a FOWLR any lights will do.

The biggest sump you can fit in the allotted spot is what I would recommend. I've always built my sumps around what components I needed for the tank. For a close to 300 gallon total water volume system, I would want a pretty big skimmer. Not something that will fit in a 12" wide sump (the 55). A 40 breeder is a much better footprint, but you'll still be limited. I like to choose a skimmer rated for 1.5 to 2 times my system volume. For your tank I would want something rated for 400 gallons or better. That's not going to be cheap.

What are you putting in this sump exactly? Just the skimmer and a bubble trap, and return pump? Are you considering a refugium?

I'd also have another look at your tank. 8x4x2 should be more than 300 gallons. If my math is correct you would be looking at close to 480 gallons.

The biggest sump you can fit in the allotted spot is what I would recommend. I've always built my sumps around what components I needed for the tank. For a close to 300 gallon total water volume system, I would want a pretty big skimmer. Not something that will fit in a 12" wide sump (the 55). A 40 breeder is a much better footprint, but you'll still be limited. I like to choose a skimmer rated for 1.5 to 2 times my system volume. For your tank I would want something rated for 400 gallons or better. That's not going to be cheap.

What are you putting in this sump exactly? Just the skimmer and a bubble trap, and return pump? Are you considering a refugium?

I could make the sump as big as 6x2x2 if I need to, and yes I was planning on making a refugium, but this is my first saltwater build, and I'm in no great hurry to get it finished, I'm going to take my time and do this right,

My advice would be to plan on some kind of coral in the future. FOWLR tanks are great but once you get into this hobby you WILL want some kind of coral eventually. Especially with that size if a tank. Go for lighting, etc that will allow for some corals and you won't end up buying stuff twice. Have fun, go slow, and enjoy the journey.

I wouldn't go 6 x 2 x 2 for the sump, but maybe 4' x 2' x about 14" tall. That would give you a nice refugium and a pretty large area to place a monster skimmer. You would make the partitions about 10" tall, and the other 4 inches would be to hold extra water in the event of a power outage.

I wouldn't go 6 x 2 x 2 for the sump, but maybe 4' x 2' x about 14" tall. That would give you a nice refugium and a pretty large area to place a monster skimmer. You would make the partitions about 10" tall, and the other 4 inches would be to hold extra water in the event of a power outage.

That sounds like a good size, I really appreciate all your input on this

Back
Top Bottom