getting ready to swap out sand and rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

egon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i am going to be swapping out the 55lbs of rock and the sand that i currently have in my 90g tank on tues/wed of next week. i am planning on taking the sand and rock that is currently in the tank and dividing it between three 30 gallon rubbermaid containers and putting the fish in these until everything is cycled. i also plan on putting a powerhead in each for water movement. how long do you think i could keep the fish in these containers while i await what is hopefully a short cycle perid with live rock from liverocks.com

What about heaters? Should have heaters in these tubs aswell to keep the water temp from dropping.

They should live in there just fine for a long period of time since the rock and sand will be the filter and the PH and heater will make the water movement and water temp correct.

My question is this. Why not cure the liverocks.com rock in the tubs?

yes, i forgot to mention the heaters, i thought about curing the rock in the tubs, but i need to get the old sand out of the tank and put in the 250lbs on new sand that i have in to replace it. so i thought that i would empty out the tank completely, give it a good cleaning, and start fresh.

egon said:
yes, i forgot to mention the heaters, i thought about curing the rock in the tubs, but i need to get the old sand out of the tank and put in the 250lbs on new sand that i have in to replace it. so i thought that i would empty out the tank completely, give it a good cleaning, and start fresh.

Whats wrong with the "old" sand? It's got tons of critters in it.. if it's been going for awhile...
I'd just do the new rock in the conainers and keep the fish happy where they are !

Back
Top Bottom