getting rid of coraline alage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alrmc4

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok how many of you scrape the coraline off the front and sides of your glass and how heavy handed can you get with the coraline on the silicone seal? must be doing ok it is starting to take over everything even the power heads.

I scrape the front and 1 side. I very carefully use a razor or plastic blade near the silicone, any coraline actually on the seal stays, I do not attempt to remove it.

Why would anyone want to get rid of corraline?

Tough to see in the tank when you have coralline all over the glass. :mrgreen:

I use the Kent Scraper, metal blade not the plastic.

Coraline is great on the rocks, but can be a pain when it gets all over the front and side glass. Once well established (if levels stay good for it) it grows very quickly, almost on the level of diatoms.

No doubt.

I have a buddy with 29gal that he otherwise neglects (adds no nutrients)except for frequent and massive water changes. The bottom 1/3 of the tank, including glass/powerheads and anything moving slower than a crab, is a solid mass of pink, and it's taken only a few months to get that way. He's given up trying to clean it off, but has backed off water changes to keep from feeding it.

Nothing is prettier on rocks, IMHO, than coralline that's grown so thick it looks like thick, polished plastic. I try to keep it at a moderate pace in my current 55, and have a few splotches of the slower growing and rarer tan and green types growing on a couple of my rocks.

Lower PH or salinity will slow it down.

i know it is a good thing just don't want it to get in the way of my pictures i like your idea of 1 side and front rr! thanks :)

I scrape the front glass. Usually i dont bother with the sides. In fact almost 1 whole side of my 20 is covered in it.

I use a metal edged kent scraper. I hold the scraper at a low angle (like 25 degrees) and it gets the corline off real easy even if I go a few weeks with out scraping.

Back
Top Bottom