getting starte..again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captdavefields

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have had a 110 gal tank for quite awhile i have had my struggles at times and have spent a lot of money buying various fish from local pet stores. most have died.. a few have lived. i just recently moved into a new house and had a pro move my tank and set it back up again. i have 65lbs of live rock, a protien skimmer, a brand new coral life light ( my guy said it was good for corals) I'm not sure what that is. i had a clown fish that was 8 years old and a yellow tang that was 6 years old along with a few damsels that i caught while diving here in fla..i know thats not right but did it anyway. they all died during the move. just got water changed and I would like to start adding some new fish/corals. i would like to add a lot of col0rs and fish to make the tank "alive" again i'm not a novice but not an expert. i'm starting over. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

I would suggest trying to get up too 110 pounds of rock general rule from my understanding is a pound per gallon. Do u know what type of light u have for corals? There are metal halide, power compacts, t5s, and LEDs

coarlife hood.. 2 white 10'000k 120v 54w t5 ho
2 blue 120v 54w t5 ho
4 blue led's on the bottom
i was wrong it is a 90 gal tank

Yea try switching out a whit or both depending on how much u like the blue in ur tank

Sorry to hear about your fish. That's rough. Well, since the tank was moved, you might have another cycle, so that'll have to resolve before adding fish. 90g is a good size. If I had that size, I would get a foxface, a couple of bartletts anthias, some blue reef chromis, few bangaii cardinals, a red tail pearlscale butterflyfish (unless you're doing corals too), some kind of Blenny (cause they're funny), and a couple of b/w clowns. That would be a varied mix of color, and they're all beautiful. Of course, they would have to be added slowly. Good luck!

Once your cycle is complete I wouldn't add more then 1-3 fish at a time with 2-4 weeks before the next batch is added. Corals on the other hand you could fully stock in one day if you have the money to lol

Also, if you want to do corals, I would skip the angels and butterflyfish, it's kinda a 50/50 chance they'll eat at them. I had a dwarf angel, which is supposed to be less of a risk for corals, but mine ate A LOT of corals before I was able to get him out and put him in the 30g FOWLR. and to get him out, had to remove most of the rock, he's fast-was a huge PIA. But that's up to you.

Yeah, you'll need some then. Use the gph rating to figure out how much turn over you have in the tank. For FOWLR, you'll want 10-30x tank size turnover, for reef you'll want 30-50x turnover. In my 55 I have 3 PH aimed toward top and at each other. This prevents dead spots where detritus can gather. :)

Back
Top Bottom