Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-16-2010, 02:55 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Get some 20 gallon BRUTE tubs at Lowe's. All Rubbermaid BRUTE products are food grade so they won't leach. You need to use saltwater to cure the sand. You don't need a powerhead, but a small heater will help (unless you keep area the with the tubs warm). You do need to stir the sand every couple of days. Don't put the sand more than 2" - 3" deep in a tub.

Wet/Dry systems are FAR from the best filtration, unless you want a Fish Only, or a FO with some LR tank. A wet dry completes 2 of the three stages of the nitrogen cycle. It is very good at converting ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate. Hence its reputation as a nitrate factory.

If you want corals, or are lazy about partial water changes a wet/dry cannot compete with LR (1.5 - 2 pounds/gallon) along with a good skimmer. Add a DSB (deep sand bed [>4"]) and a refugium with some macro algae and you have a natural system that takes care of the complete nitrogen cycle.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:39 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
sand doesn't need to be cured. why i suggested to cycle the tank with the rock and no sand is because after a cycle all sorts of debris will be all over the tank bottom. it's die-off from the rock. it's much easier to remove that without sand present.

i personally wouldn't use 25 pounds of sand that's from an established tank without thoroughly rinsing it. i probably wouldn't use it at all, because it will be a P.I.T.A. to rinse it enough for my liking. maybe a cup or two from that tank and the rest dry (also thoroughly rinsed) sand.

that's not true that a wet/dry is the "best filtration on the market". a trickle filter is better for fresh water applications IMO.
where are you getting your data from?

Old 12-16-2010, 05:43 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
sand doesn't need to be cured. why i suggested to cycle the tank with the rock and no sand is because after a cycle all sorts of debris will be all over the tank bottom. it's die-off from the rock. it's much easier to remove that without sand present.

i personally wouldn't use 25 pounds of sand that's from an established tank without thoroughly rinsing it. i probably wouldn't use it at all, because it will be a P.I.T.A. to rinse it enough for my liking. maybe a cup or two from that tank and the rest dry (also thoroughly rinsed) sand.
Thanks! That makes good sense. I figured the sand should be present during the cycle but if that's not the case then that's fine too.

I'm going to be running a refugium in my sump. What about putting the sand from my friend's tank there instead of the main tank? I plan to thoroughly rinse (saltwater rinse) both the new and "live" sand. Is there just no real benefit to using the sand from another tank after it's been rinsed? From what I've read it helps "seed" the new sand. Maybe you're saying this because only a few cups of their live sand will have the same effect as using 25lbs of it?
Old 12-16-2010, 05:53 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
well, people say there are many micro-critters...microfauna...etc. in the sand from an established tank...but i only believe that to be true if someone actually introduced said organisms. if not, then you will have the same organisms in your sand bed in a matter of time anyway.
yes, a few cups is recommended because it will limit the amount of detritus you put in the tank.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:02 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

A cup of two from an established tank will see the tank, but so will LR.

Although you don't need to cure the sand, it will cause sand storms in the tank when you add it later, that's the only reason to cure it outside of the tank.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:26 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

How long to cure the sand? How long can i let mixed water sit if it has a powerhead and heater in it?

Tags
started

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com