Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-13-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

"Getting Started"

I was wondering if all you experts were to start a brand new tank waht would you do differently from your last time. Were would you begin? What order would you purchase your hardware, at what point to you being your cycle? .... Simple getting started question posted on one thread... i believe this can really help alot of people out on this website (including myself)

As of now I have my 55 gallon, my T5HO 216watts, my Wet Dry filter with bioballs, waiting on my canopy to come in... just wondering what your next few steps in the process would be?

Old 12-13-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

personally, take out the bioballs and use live rock rubble instead.

I think for me I would get all the hardware setup and ready to go before i even fill it, i have a tank right now with everything except some power heads and its running through fresh water just to help me clean it the lazy man way lol. if i was doing it all from scratch all brand new gear i would probably setup with everything and have it ready to go, then fill it with salt water, aquascape then put in the sand (didnt do that the first time i setup a tank and rock has fallen and got moved around) then watch the cycle.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I would go larger next time around. I want a tank that is deeper (front to back) my last tank was 120g and I loved the shape but eventually wanted to go larger to have more space for larger fish and more corals. I will most certainly have a reef ready tank next time around and I will drill it for a closed loop as well.

Always a good idea to have all the equipment before getting started.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If I were to start over I would've also went bigger. I would've also purchased a RR system and instead of using all LR I would have used base rock.

-Chuck
Krypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

id leave the bioballs they do a really great job of filtering
Old 12-16-2010, 07:55 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i would get rid of the wet/dry completely, and put together a sump, made from the largest standard tank i could fit under the stand. then i'd order a quality protein skimmer rated for 2 x my tank volume. then i'd fill it with water.
i can get live rock for the price of base rock so, i'd order a box or two of that and when it came in, drill holes through it and use acrylic rods to make rock towers. aquascape, and then wait (the rock would cycle the tank nicely).

then i'd vacuum the tank with my water change and then add my dry aragonite sand.
wait till it clears, and then add livestock.

btw, i wouldn't use a 55 for a DT. it's too shallow front to back. a P.I.T.A. to aquascape and you can't keep tangs for very long(humanely).
Old 12-16-2010, 11:16 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
i would get rid of the wet/dry completely, and put together a sump, made from the largest standard tank i could fit under the stand. then i'd order a quality protein skimmer rated for 2 x my tank volume. then i'd fill it with water.
i can get live rock for the price of base rock so, i'd order a box or two of that and when it came in, drill holes through it and use acrylic rods to make rock towers. aquascape, and then wait (the rock would cycle the tank nicely).

then i'd vacuum the tank with my water change and then add my dry aragonite sand.
wait till it clears, and then add livestock.

btw, i wouldn't use a 55 for a DT. it's too shallow front to back. a P.I.T.A. to aquascape and you can't keep tangs for very long(humanely).
So you're recommending the tank cycle be done without sand in the tank at all? What if I was using around 75lb of new dry sand and around 25lb live sand from someone else's tank?
Old 12-16-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

You can cycle either with or without the sand to start. You want the rock sitting on the bottom glass (use base rock there) and add the sand after that.
Dry sand will create a sand storm in the tank until the bacteria coat it making it just heavy enough to settle. In my tank that took about two weeks, so you may want to consider curing the sand in tubs outside of the tank and adding it later in the cycle. The sand storm can also take a toll on power heads with all the sand particles going through them.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Can the sand be cured in tanks outside of the display tank with just RO water and some water circulation?

This is the sand I'm looking to purchase today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	26452  
Old 12-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

its gotta be saltwater in the other tanks. and dont get rid of the wet/dry its putting alot of oxygen back in the tank/ best filtration on the market.

Tags
started

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com