Getting started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Texasreef

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I'm starting with a 46 bowfront, it has the stock lid, the hob filter it came with (its the double chamber bio wheel model) and the stock light. My plan is to turn this into my first salt water tank. This will be my first salt tank but I am experienced in fw, I have a 90gal cichlid tank and a 20 gal community.

So my plan is to do a reef, I'd like to keep corals eventually, I realize patience is the name of the game when it comes to setting up a salt water tank. I'd like some feedback on if my plan sounds reasonable.. Thanks in advance.

Plan: I have limited funds to get this going however I usually get a bonus around feb and am planning to purchase the lighting and a hob skimmer at that time. I want to use the hob filter I have with lr rubble for some additional filtration. I'd like to start with about 40lbs of live sand and about 40 lbs of live rock and the filter. Then use the time between now and feb to ensure the tank is fully cycled before I add anything to it (this would also give me time to get my scape right). Then in feb add the lighting,skimmer, cuc etc.. Is this doable? Am I missing anything vital for just getting in sand and rock for the cycle?

Also, can anyone give me some pointers on how to tell quality of live rock? I have several lfs within a few miles of my home so id like to see which one has the best rock.

Hi,

Welcome to SW ^_^

I'm by no means an expert but I have a 29g FOWLR and read up on quite a bit.

I have the same type of HOB filter, it's been on my tank for over 2 years. Mine is rated for up to 70gal, you want be close to double your tank size.

For LR, based on my readings, having purple/pink coralline algae on them is great. Also you want to get a variety of shapes and sizes for good Aquascaping. Mine have alot of interesting indentations perfect for fish hiding places and caves. You can check out some photos of my tank on my profile.

GL!

Hey welcome, sounds like a good plan.i have a penguin 400 bio wheel on same tank works great. I run two t5 39watt bulb. Led are the best tho.we have softies and lps all are thriving.rock advice above sounds good. Pics in profile to.get the sand, water and lr. Some good phone apps are aquarium I.D. and pocket reef.

Thanks lady q & Daniel for responding. Are you using rubble in your hob also?

No just filter floss and carbon. I do run some purigen in one side helps absorb nutrients and polishes the water. Also I have both bio wheels in,big debate on them raising nitrates I don't see it in my tanks.going to run some chemipure carbon when I change out the old carbon last a lot longer.

Hi and welcome. If you are going to be cycling that long check out bulk reef supply, they have dry rock but you can add live rock to it and it will all be live in no time, and save alot of $$. Keep an eye out they do group buys too. I have a tank with a sump and one with a canister so no knowledge to the hob filter, but I am getting ready to add refugiums to both of my tanks(I hear they work great).Also keep an eye on craig's list. I have found great deals there!
Good Luck

Ok thanks Bonnie, that's an interesting idea.. I suppose by that reasoning I could 20 lbs of live sand and 20 lbs or regular sand and it would also come alive right? Although I'm not sure about mixing different types from an aesthetic point of view..

My HOB holds 2 filter cartridges that get replaced once a month. a 6pak costs like $10. I just use those. So i don't know about other media stuff and what not. I like to keep it simple and easy. Sorry I couldn't be more help

The sand would come alive the texture might not be the same. For a extra 20 bucks to buy the same sand to me is worth it no regrets later

Back
Top Bottom