Getting Started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monaro_gto

Aquarium Advice Activist
So im picking up a 46g bowfront tomorrow with a hob octopus skimmer. Being new to the hobby I have a couple of questions,

If I put the live rock in a large container I take with me and drain some water out of the tank to keep the rock covered then leave enough water in the tank to leave the sand covered how long can the BB live like this?

Can I add some sand to this? I will be adding some live rock from my LFS. Will the tank still be cycled and if so without any fish how do I keep it cycled? I used to dose my FW tank with pure ammonia, Can I do the same?

If your transferring a established tank its fine. The lr will be fine, adding new sand just rinse it well in tank water or saltwater. Adding lr can cause a mini cycle sometimes do to die off. Don't add ammonia just your new lr and sand. I rinse my live sand to remove die off when I'm adding a little more.

Want to try and keep the conditions as similar to the tank as possible so heaters etc if you can. You will always have a mini cycle with this so maybe if you are transferring to new tank try a couple of water changes this week if possible

Back
Top Bottom