getting started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caimen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
im ready to start a 20 gal saltwatertank. plan on keeping corals and a few puffer fish.

I have a tank 20 gal and a 10 gal for a sump. the lighting i plan to use is

how much live sand do i need in the tank?
is a 10 gal sump big enough?
how many watts do i need to grow most corals?

a good link would be nice.
thanks caimen

You might want to research your plans a little bit more. While not very experienced myself, I think most all puffers will want to be in a much bigger tank - like 50-100 gallons or so. Also - and I could be wrong so look into this - but I don't think puffers are very reef compatible.

Two good references I've found invaluable are Fenner's "The Consciencious Aquarist" and Paletta's "The New Marine Aquarium". Read up, and have fun!

The above post is correct, if you do plan on keeping any puffers you would need a little larger of a tank. What I would recommend is do some research on exactly what you would like and set a goal and work towards it. Some hardy corals such as mushrooms do require I believe a min 4watts/gallon, I will let someone with more reef advice chime in. Good Luck.

yes i did do alot of reading to day. a puffer is not the fish for this tank.
Im thinking about keeping mostlu corals.

I set up the tank today. I mixed my water, added 20lb of live sand. for a filter i will use a AC 30 and a protein skimmer. i also have a power head for added curculation.

I will recive my 2x65 PC light tomarrow. I am going to buy about 20lb of live rock my LFS is giving me a great deal on uncured fujii live rock 5.99 a pound. the rock will be in next week. Untill then how should i maintaine the tank. It only has the sand in it.

You could add a little flake food to help start your cycle while you are waiting for the uncured rock.

I have heard good things about the bac pacs, not sure on the fission.
The uncured LR might sink due to some die off, I don't think the carbon would help much.
I have a 125G and a 20G cycling right now, with three pieces of raw shrimp (125G one in the 20G) in it and there is not really a bad smell, from either of them.

Back
Top Bottom