getting started again..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
marty_wolff said:
I have access to shells from the ocean so would be ok if i used those instead? or would they bring in chemicals and other bad things?
Personally I wouldn't bring them back from the beach and put them in my tank. There is no telling what is on/in them. You could try boiling them, but you still risk contamination of metals, like copper.
marty_wolff said:
How long does my tank need to cycle before I can add inverts?
Once you cycle is complete, you can add your inverts. Inverts tend to be very intolerant of poor water conditions. I like to drip acclimante mine for at least 2 hours.
marty_wolff said:
how does the ratio 75lbs or base rock to 20lbs of LR?
That sounds good to me. I am planning on 150Lbs to 100:bs base/LR. The ratio will depend on how long it will take the coraline to "migrate" from the LR to the base.

yes base rock on bottom live rock on top. Coralline algae will grow anywhere that there enough light (not much is required). You dont have to have any LR the cycling makes it LR. Its LR because of the bacteria grow in and on it. People add the LR to get the other organisms (pods, coralline algae, sponges, etc.) and its more interesting to look at initially. In a few weeks the coralline algae starts growing everywhere.

Your link to the lights was not working.
As roka64 said there always a chance of introducing something in to your tank when you collect it but unless your going completely aquacultured, you'll be introduce things from the wild. A lot of the live rock was grown in ocean (rocks put in ocean then collected later). I have used collected shells in my tank and others have also. If your going to pick up shells at beach take them from water not from beach. Stuff on beach is more likely to be polluted.

sorry about the lighting, i cant even get to it on the website now...

-what type of organisms would you recomend to have in a refugium?
-how to you keep the stuff in there from making their way to the pump and getting ripped to pieces?
_if i found shells in the water and left them sit around for a couple of weeks would all the things on them be dead and safe for the aquarium?

Leaving them out of water would kill organisms then soak in fresh water also kills salt water organisms. Then I soak them in the water removed during water change to remove fw. The shock of those changes should kill almost everything. As to the refugium, check out the diy section there are lots of plans people have developed.

Have you already bought the 55? IMO you may be better off with a tank more suited for LR and corals. The 55 gallon is a little skinny to pile in rocks and coral. As for the lighting, I run 65x2 PC in my 30 gallon and do fine. Lots of coralline growth and happy corals.

yes i already bought the 55 gal. it is pretty skinny but can rocks lean on the glass work?

Back
Top Bottom