Getting started ... Fluff and others please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A 14g tank is going to be labor intensive and you'll only be able to keep a small fish or two, but other than that it is a fine place to start (I'd rather see a 30, personally).

Put 20# base/dry rock into the tank. Add sand to desired level. In a separate container mix salt with RO/DI and then move the water to the display. Put a powerhead into the tank that is at least 150gph.

I would recommend weekly 3g water changes on the tank, especially in the beginning (but after the cycle is over).

For a cycle you're going to take a small coctail shrimp, put it into the tank and wait for it to decompose and disappear. During that time you're going to see cloudy water (from the stirred sand), more cloudy water 1-2w later (bacteria bloom), brown stuff on your sand and glass (diatoms), and then hopefully 0-0-0 parameters. When you get back to 0-0-0 you're ready for that first fish.

For a water change take a 5g bucket, put 3g of RO/DI; 1.5 cups of most salt (Reef Crystals measurement, yours may be different depending on what salt you use), a heater and a powerhead into the bucket and mix for 24 hours. At the end of the 24 hours take another bucket just like the first one and fill it with water from your tank to the same point in the bucket that you filled the first one. That water goes down the drain. Take the water from the bucket that's been mixing and put that back into your tank. Water change done. Again don't do this until you have your parameters (at least ammo & NitrIte) back to 0. Feel free to do a large (7-10g) water change after the levels come to zero to get the nitrAtes in check.

HTH.

WOW, that is very useful. wohohooo I do not need to buy live rock lol and all that means is an approximate 2 - 4 week wait :). Water changes I now understand :)
That has made my day :)

If you want that pretty purple color that everyone else has you'll want to buy one or two small rocks to get the coraline algae introduced to your tank. That will turn the base rock purple over time. I started with ~80% base rock and ~20% live rock and in 3 months time all of my rock blended nicely together.

Alternately you could buy a bottle of purple up.

Thank you ever so much, This sounds great :). I am most liekly goign to buy a couple of pounds of live rock but at least I know I dont have to spend a fortune any more.
How often do you do water changes?

Also could I keep to small clwons ina tank this size. They are common clowns approximatly 1 inch MAX.

I try to do my water changes every two weeks. On a 14g you're going to want to top off daily and make sure that you do water changes weekly.

Cinnamon Clowns are not a very good choice for a 14g tank. They grow to 5" and really need a 30g tank. I would go with a perc instead. (Personally I'd go with a pair of black and whites).

If I am toping of water daily, does that mean I will need to do the whole 24hour waiting thing?

Top off water is RO/DI, no salt. Salt doesn't evap, only water does so the water becomes more concentrated. To keep the environment stable you'll need to replace the evap with fresh RO/DI water.

I would make an auto top of system for your tank.

I have a 5 gallon bucket I sit on top of my tank which has small tubing that syphons down into the display with an adjustable valve to control how fast the water drips.

You can get a 1 gallon milk jug and do the same thing. I would absolutely do this, especially with a nano system.

I am seriously thinking about starting one, how long would use say I have to wait before fish can be added?

Usually about 3 weeks. We started our tank on October 31. By November 16 we were putting our 20% LR on top of the 80% base. The system followed shortly after with some nasty diatoms to indicate the end of our cycle and we were able to put fish in in time for Thanksgiving. That was last year. Our tank is in our living room and rather a "show piece". It was very disconcerting that second week of November when the tank was overtaken with the "bacteria bloom" that completely clouded the tank given the fact that we were having turkey day at our house! We talked frequently that week about covering the tank with a sheet for the holiday! Luckily it cleared up just in time.

Phyl said:
It was very disconcerting that second week of November when the tank was overtaken with the "bacteria bloom" that completely clouded the tank given the fact that we were having turkey day at our house! We talked frequently that week about covering the tank with a sheet for the holiday! Luckily it cleared up just in time.
You mean there's a noticeable physical difference? I guess I'd just assumed I'd only be able to tell how the cycling was going by testing the water.

Back
Top Bottom