Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-29-2011, 02:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Getting started fragging

Hey guys, I'm considering doing some fragging and I want to make it as easy as possible. I was thinking about starting with some zoos. My idea is to get some growing on a perfectly smooth surface like a piece of thin hard plastic similar to a cutting board. And just using a razor to cut them and scrape them off the plastic. I would then glue them to a frag plug or rubble. I can fasten the plastic to a frag shelf. Any problems you see with this?

Old 08-29-2011, 10:10 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm also gonna start fraggin very soon so I'm following.....

I figured on trying to gently pop some polyps off their current home rock and then gluing them each to frag plugs. I gure about 5-8 polypls per plug. I had a zooa actually fall off a frag plug and start floating around the tank. lol I got him with tweezers and then put a small dot of gel glue on the original plug and glued him right on. He was open and normal the very next day.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I lost a small mushroom when I was cleaning my tank and it went through my powerhead to be shredded. 2 weeks later I found a couple of baby mushrooms growing on the life rock. Maybe try that?
Old 08-30-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just so you know zoas and palys carry a very power toxin, it can be deadly. Look up palytoxin before you frag. And always wear gloves, and wash your hands!
Old 08-30-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Palytoxin

and wear glasses too!

Tags
frag, started

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com